Mac Mini Server?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eshamlin, Dec 15, 2009.

1. eshamlin macrumors newbie

So I have a home network setup using an old macbook as the server. Obviously not a great setup, and not a true server. That said my demands are pretty basic. I have a large external raid that has a huge itunes library, iphoto library and other backups.

The itunes library is so big that it takes the macbook a long time to load up itunes, and surfing the library can be slow and stuttery.

I want to upgrade to a speedier computer to run as the server. But I have very limited space and don't want a full tower.

I stumbled upon this today: http://www.apple.com/macmini/server/

It seems to offer what I need with one glaring issue of relatively low RAM for a server setup.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

A mini server should work, and work well. I'm using a previous-gen mini with 4GB RAM and a 750GB FW800 hard drive to act as an iTunes server (~30GB library, I've never noticed issues or sluggishness), video player for my TV (will play soft-subtitled 720p h264 video files upscaled to 1080p without stuttering or issue), and file server for my two Macs.

The current server version with dual hard drives has a faster processor, and if your data storage needs aren't huge you can even run off the internals (though I'd of course add a cheap USB external for backup-I'm using a 1TB Fantom I got for less than $100). Since I intended to use an external drive anyway, I'd personally get one with the optical drive, just so I can rip CDs easily, but the server version is tempting (particularly if you RAID1 mirrored the internals for extra security).

Really, 4GB RAM is plenty for almost anything you'd want to do with such a server. If you really want they will apparently handle up to 8GB despite what the specs say, although the two 4GB sticks of RAM will cost more than the computer.

3. smoked macrumors regular

Unless you really need to have Snow Leopard Server (which you probably don't given your current setup), you should be fine with a regular mini. You might want to get a used/refurb if you aren't going to run anything on it but iTunes.

4. mcruzader macrumors regular

For your needs a basic Mini none Server will be more than sufficient. Just upgrade the RAM to 4GB. Server provides services that you will most likely not be using, podcasting, wikiserver, mail server, etc.