Mac Mini service fee out of warranty?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by TheMTtakeover, May 10, 2013.

1. TheMTtakeover macrumors 6502

TheMTtakeover

Let me first explain my problem.

I have a mac mini and I used to hook it up to my TV using Apple's Mini display port to VGA adapter. After a few months it quit working. I assumed at that time that it was just the adapter that was bad. I had an HDMI to VGA adapter laying around and so I have just been using that ever since. I have no thunderbolt devices and so I never noticed anything wrong. Last week I bought a second monitor to use with my mac. I broke out the old adapter (That I thought was broken) and it didn't work, no surprise there. So I then went to amazon.com and bought a cord that is mini display port on one end and VGA on the other. I plugged this into my mac and to my surprise IT DID NOT WORK. I thought what the hell don't tell me this cable is no good. (The brand is cable matters and I have gotten some pretty decent stuff from them before). So I went and got my Dell laptop which has a mini display port. It works just fine with that.

So...now I am thinking that it is actually my thunderbolt/ mini display port on my mac mini that is the issue. It is out of warranty (its the 2011 model). Does apple have a flat service fee for out of warranty problems? Any other ideas what could be wrong? Thanks for any help!

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Where are you? There is a statutory 2-year warrantee on defective goods purchased in the EU, for instance, so you might still be in with a chance.

3. TheMTtakeover thread starter macrumors 6502

TheMTtakeover

4. TheMTtakeover thread starter macrumors 6502

TheMTtakeover

So... I guess that the cord fell out of the back of my monitor when I sat it back up. Haha. *chuckles nervously*

5. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Did you buy it with a credit card? Oftentimes better credit cards (America Express, for example) have purchase protection, where they extend your warranty by a year or more.

6. Lucas Godfrey macrumors 6502

Lucas Godfrey

1st step of troubleshooting is to check connections, you have learned to do that now I hope. ;)

7. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Apple would be the most expensive service check .. I'd go with Apple certified 3rd party Agent center e.g. Best Buy / Fry's electronics.. Going thru 3rd party Apple agent would be half of Apple's tech charges... $85+ ish per hr .. might $50 to inspect then $85+ hr plus parts..

8. TheMTtakeover thread starter macrumors 6502

TheMTtakeover

Haha. Dude this thread was a year old. :p :p