Mac mini sleep power light behaviour change

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Ropie, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Ropie macrumors regular

Ropie

After installing Mavericks my late 2012 Mac Mini power light no longer pulses when the system is put to sleep; instead it just resolutely glows at normal operating brightness, refusing even to have the decency to dim itself! It was definitely pulsing the night before the upgrade as I was staring at it as I went to sleep..

Edit - it's not the end of the world, as otherwise 10.9 seems very very good.

2. Gary King macrumors 6502

Yep I have noticed this too. Perhaps it's part of the "Power Nap" feature in Mavericks which allows it to perform activities even when asleep? I think this only works on SSDs and Fusion drives, so I assume you have one of these in your Mac Mini? I have an SSD so this is probably the reason for me.

3. atrevers macrumors regular

atrevers

I've got a 2011 mini that doesn't do Power Nap (even though I've added a 3rd party SSD) - sleeps as previously, with pulsating power light.

4. Ropie thread starter macrumors regular

Ropie

No, just a plain 1TB HDD in mine :(

5. ivnj macrumors 65816

Mine too. I just don't have any ssd's. It is all stock. Except I have 8gb ram now instead of the stock 2gb. But the rest is all stock. I just tried and its the same as before and as atrevers said. You hit sleep and then nothing happens. But as soon as the hd finishes spinning down the light goes dim. And then bright. Back and forth.

6. Negritude macrumors 6502

Are you sure the system is actually sleeping? Run this command in terminal:

pmset -g

If you see anything on the "sleep" parameter line that shows processes that are preventing the system from sleeping, let us know.

7. Gary King macrumors 6502

Turns out the reason my Mac Mini wasn't sleeping was because I had "File sharing" enabled in the "Sharing" System Preferences pane. However, in previous versions of OS X, my Mac would sleep fine even with this enabled. But starting with Mavericks, this prevents my Mac from sleeping. So I have to disable it every night before sleeping my Mac now.

8. Ropie thread starter macrumors regular

Ropie

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll try them this evening..

9. Ropie thread starter macrumors regular

Ropie

This was not enabled on mine.

I tried this and got a 0. However, I've noticed that the problem seems to have rectified itself! It now goes to sleep and the light pulses straightaway, whereas before it would not even start pulsing hours after being put to sleep. Must have been some process that has now finished...