Mac Mini Slowing Down - Question for Adobe Users

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by james*b, Jul 4, 2013.

1. james*b macrumors regular

Hi
    I noticed my new mac mini (6,2/Quad Core/4gb/SSD) beginning to seriously slow down for the first time yesterday.
    I was editing a photo in Lightroom 4 with about seven local selection masks and the mini became nearly unusable.
    At one point the activity monitor showed Lightroom CPU use at 400%+ (and RAM 2GB+).
    Is this normal? Is there anything I can do (other than use less masks/buy a mac pro etc!)?
    Thanks in advance!

2. opinio macrumors 65816

2 8gb Corsair Vengeance RAM chips (total 16gb) would go a long way to helping. 4gb is pretty low for photo editing.

3. james*b thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks - but according to the activity monitor, doesn't it appear that it is the CPU which is maxing out, not the RAM?

4. Che Castro macrumors 603

James if one program uses 2gb of ram and you only have 4

16gb is better

5. Padaung macrumors 6502

Padaung

I'd go with more RAM too. Cheap and easy to install. The rest of your machine is very quick, the memory is almost certainly holding you back.

6. opinio macrumors 65816

The CPU isn't running at 400%. I think the CPU% in activity monitor is the percentage of allotted usage. So 400% is 4 times what it should be using under normal allotment. My interpretation will be corrected here for sure.

For example if I run the CPU actually (truly at 100%) at 100% (as set out in iStat Menus), the app I am using (HandBrake) is taking 750% while another app is taking 20% and another 10% etc.

Someone can explain it better than me I am sure, but certainly when it says your app is on 400% in the '%CPU' column in activity monitor it does not mean you CPU is running 400% on its 2.3GHz frequency max.

7. fa8362 macrumors 65816

8. elolaugesen macrumors regular

More ram is always better and low cost upgrade....

cheers elo