Mac mini smoke puff

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by ricardobeat, Dec 2, 2010.

  1. ricardobeat macrumors member

    Sep 23, 2008
    Had a bit of a scare today.

    One of my colleagues tripped on a power cord, sparks flew out the outlet, and a smoke puff came out of the back of my mini (2009). It instantly turned it's fan on at full speed before we disconnected it. You could detect a faint burned plastic smell coming from the back, but after plugging it somewhere else, it turned on just fine.

    Might be related or not, but my magic mouse started going nuts intermittently after that. I'm taking it in to an authorized repair center tomorrow, but wanted to hear some opinions too. Has this happened to anyone before?
  2. Heilage macrumors 68030


    May 1, 2009
    Maybe something got fried. Would be likely if sparks shot out and it started smoking, really.
  3. ricardobeat thread starter macrumors member

    Sep 23, 2008
    Sparks shot out from the wall plug, not the mac. I'm writing from it right now :)
  4. dullo macrumors newbie

    Dec 1, 2010
    Well if they came out of the wall hopefully it was the smell of the plastic wall outlet that got burnt. If I were in your situation I'd restart the computer again and see if the problem with your mouse continues. Also try to run the hardware test on startup (hold the D key down as your mini boots up) If it passes that test and says no problems found it's probably fine

Share This Page