Mac mini ?? Son's first mac for homeschool

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Wanski, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Wanski macrumors newbie

My 11 year old son's PC has just about crapped the bed and I need to upgrade for homeschooling. He spends a great deal of time on it doing schoolwork and mindcraft games etc.
    #1. Should I pay the extra $200 for the better graphics card. (I will upgrade the ram to 8gb off the start as I have with my other macs).
    #2 Can a new Samsung 55" tv work as a computer monitor for the mini if we move his classroom downstairs?

Thanks for your help.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

1, yes for his gaming it'll be wise.

2, most defiantly.

3. Wanski thread starter macrumors newbie

Correction ooops

He plays minecraft not mindcraft. He doesn't play the "gaming" software available though I'm sure in time.....
    Does that change your thoughts about the $200 upgrade for the better videocard?

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

This depends. For Minecraft, he'll love it. For general use? It might be less than ideal. A 55" TV will have the same number of pixels as a typical 24" monitor, so text on that screen won't look fantastic.

However, the mini supports dual monitors. I assume you have an existing monitor from the old PC: keep that for general use, and plug the mini into the TV via HDMI. Get the best of both worlds. :D

5. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

I second this suggestion. For people who spend any decent length of time in front of a computer, investing in a quality monitor is a good bet. The TV will serve well for gaming (at a distance) as well as for presentations and things of that nature.

Also, if you have a Wii and a spare copy of Windows, turning the TV into a multitouch whiteboard can be a fun hands-on project!

Regarding the graphics upgrade: It's a good bet as well. It will allow for decent performance in non-demanding games, but more importantly, will help the Mac's interface operate smoothly farther into the future.