Mac mini Spackler

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Eidorian, May 9, 2007.

1. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Do you still keep your warranty if you open up your Intel Mac mini to install new RAM?

I've been asked this question often and I don't know the answer myself. I know that on the Mac mini G4 you'd preserve your warranty.

My tool of choice.

2. ibjoshua macrumors 6502a

ibjoshua

my research, indicates, yes. Sorry no links but a google search or check xlr8yourmac.com should confirm.

ibjoshua

3. Eidorian thread starter macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. ibjoshua macrumors 6502a

ibjoshua

sorry. I miss-read your question. I was answering the question in my mind: "does opening your mac mini void your warranty?" The answer to that should have been - yes.

Sorry again for the confusion.

It seems that Apple claims it DOES void your warranty.

But I just found this: http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-2669.html
    while looking at the corsair memory upgrade site (http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/configurator_search.html)

Apparently in the States at least it is illegal to void a warranty based on opening a case or installing compatible, if not correctly branded parts. So, if you wanted to fight Apple you'd be on good grounds.

ibjoshua

5. JAT macrumors 603

If it's not broken, you'll be fine. If you break it doing this, might be a problem.

6. Eidorian thread starter macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I know what I'm doing in there to install RAM now. I also have the service manual for it. ;)

7. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Why read the book when you can watch the movie? ;)

8. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I kept my original RAM, in the event I would need to take it in for service knowing they might replace the machine without warning and not wanting to lose my 2x1GB sticks. So just swap it back out and say prove it. Of course you may not want to break any of the case release clips off or tear up the bottom of the case too much or they might just be able to.