Mac Mini - Specs for a Living Room

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Azeroth1, May 30, 2019.

1. Azeroth1 macrumors regular

I want to buy a Mac Mini 2018 for the sole purpose of using it to stream iTunes or local movies up to and including to a 4K TV.

What specs do I need? This will be replacing a 2012 Mac Mini that (even with the SSD) seems to get loud and the fans revving up often enough that it’s disruptive. Thanks.

2. Mellofello808 macrumors regular

Same e money and buy a Apple TV 4k with plex

3. timidpimpin macrumors 6502

An Apple TV is FAR more limited than a Mac. IMO this is horriible advice.

To the OP... the base model will be more than enough spec and power. And that RAM can be upgraded down the road if you find you need more.

4. Mellofello808 macrumors regular

He said the sole purpose was streaming. It is so much easier to use a apple TVOS device with a remote vs mouse and keyboard.

I have both a Mac and a Apple TV4k in my LR and I use the Apple TV much more.

5. brentsg macrumors 68040

OP mentioned a use case that doesn’t benefit from greater flexibility. With greater flexibility comes a more cumbersome living room device and greater expense.

6. Mellofello808 macrumors regular

Try forcing your wife and kids to navigate a computer Everytime they want to watch something. It is less then ideal. The apple TV would do everything he needs perfectly, assuming he has another Mac to run as a server.

The only thing that you need a actual computer plugged to your TV for in most cases is piracy, which is much better achieved with a ATV 4k running Plex.

7. k27 macrumors member

What do you need more for? There is also a fork from Kodi with MrMC.

If an AppleTV isn't enough or too limited and you really need a real computer, I wouldn't buy a Mac mini for that purpose.
    A Mac mini is far too expensive for that purpose (and macOS itself is probably not the first choice for a media center). Buy e.g. an Intel NUC or something like a Raspberry Pi and install a distribution with e.g. Kodi/Plex/Empy.