Mac Mini Stuttering while playback

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by RomanMac, Dec 21, 2012.

1. RomanMac macrumors newbie

Just the other day the mini began to stutter while playing movies/tv in; iTunes, DVD's and from the internet (Hulu, Netflix). I am running OSX 10.8.2; the mini is hooked to my TV through HDMI. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Have you run a bandwidth/speed test? If not, give it a try and post your results.

3. Darby67 macrumors 6502

It would be helpful to supply some information regarding your hardware, RAM, etc.

4. blanka macrumors 68000

Standard built in Hard Drive? That could be the problem.

5. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

You don't need anything but the standard built in hard drive in any modern computer to play streaming video. That is ridiculous.

Even if the hard drive was failing, any stream data should be kept in RAM anyway.

6. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I really doubt it is a hard drive or bandwidth problem as others have stated. Those two things shouldn't really affect DVD playback.

I assume you have tried rebooting. Check your CPU and memory utilization, you may have errant software causing problems.

What is your hardware? Is this a new problem that came out of nowhere, or it's always been this way?

7. calvol macrumors 6502a

I had the 2012 Mini 2.6 for a couple of weeks before I returned it, and noticed slight stuttering on 1080p movies during scene transitions, and also had moderate stuttering when closing and opening the movie back and forth to the desktop. I now have a 2011 2.5/ATI Mini, and don't notice any of those issues, so I attribute it to the HD4000.

8. eizen macrumors newbie

Interesting, I have the same 2.6 and get no lag or stutter watching a 1080p movie trailer. That's with iTunes, two chrome windows open with several tabs.

9. AC Rempt macrumors 6502

AC Rempt

No problem with my 2012 2.3 i7, either. Do you have any other computers or devices on the network to see if they're having the same problem?