Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

javelin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2006
In the title, I sounded like a kid.... but, I'm a 57 year old female who has used macs for 35 years and have loved them. This mini duo will not hook up to the airport repeatedly while my husband sits right beside me with his new ibook, with total connection (all the bars).

The thing has blown two logic boards and they have replaced both. I've had to take it into the mac store SIX times for airport issues and logic board issues. (It's 90 miles round trip for me) They REFUSE to consider giving me my money back... only if the logic board goes out two more times.

I'm sitting here darn lucky to be online, don't count on me reading any of your replies, because I'm not sure that I'll even be able to get on. I have one measly dot for connectivity. Apple is losing a great reputation treating people this way!!! This is not to mention the hassle of using photoshop with this machine. (my business)... they are writing a universal binary to help with that... it'll only cost $50.00... what a crock!!!

I'm ready to spit nails!!

Anyone want to trade this trash for a 512MB, tower? I'd do it in a heartbeat.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
javelin said:
In the title, I sounded like a kid.... but, I'm a 57 year old female who has used macs for 35 years and have loved them. This mini duo will not hook up to the airport repeatedly while my husband sits right beside me with his new ibook, with total connection (all the bars).

The thing has blown two logic boards and they have replaced both. I've had to take it into the mac store SIX times for airport issues and logic board issues. (It's 90 miles round trip for me) They REFUSE to consider giving me my money back... only if the logic board goes out two more times.

I'm sitting here darn lucky to be online, don't count on me reading any of your replies, because I'm not sure that I'll even be able to get on. I have one measly dot for connectivity. Apple is losing a great reputation treating people this way!!! This is not to mention the hassle of using photoshop with this machine. (my business)... they are writing a universal binary to help with that... it'll only cost $50.00... what a crock!!!

Well did you think about the Photoshop thing before you bought the Mac Mini, i can't feel bad for you about that as you have the info at your finger-tips learn about x86, PPC and how photoshop will run on it.

As about the logic Board problem and AirPort problems, you got a lemon, just because you had a bad Mac does not mean they are all bad. Look at iGary, he has many bad Quads but he stuck with it, and seems to be happy. I just got a Mini today and its flawless, i love it. My AirPort strength does go down to 2 bars sometimes but it does not stop working.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
javelin said:
This is not to mention the hassle of using photoshop with this machine. (my business)... they are writing a universal binary to help with that... it'll only cost $50.00... what a crock!!!

You lost me right there. Anyone who uses Photoshop for their 'business' on a Mini and thinks that Apple is somehow responsible for Adobe's rollout of universal binaries isn't going to get much agreement, let alone sympathy, from me.

dex22

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Round Rock, TX
javelin said:
In the title, I sounded like a kid.... but, I'm a 57 year old female who has used macs for 35 years and have loved them.

Macs came out in 1984. Are you posting this from 2019? maybe you meant Apples, not Macs, in which case, you're posting from 2011 as the Apple I came to life in 1976.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
dex22 said:
Macs came out in 1984. Are you posting this from 2019? maybe you meant Apples, not Macs, in which case, you're posting from 2011 as the Apple I came to life in 1976.

Ha, very good point!

My faith in the OP is shaken, i now question if she(if '''she'' is really a she) even has a Mac Mini, or every has had a Mac of anykind.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
Ohhh what a surprise .....attack anyone who dares to question the quality of Apple products... the Airport issues have been well documented on here and MANY other message boards.

To the OP, If you've had that many problems with it, you really should get them to replace it with a brand new model or get a refund...Are Apple really allowed to refuse to replace or refund your money on a defective product?

Acehigh

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2006
javelin said:

I will trade you for a g4 1.5 Mini with DL Superdrive/80GB/512MB :). Its 1.5 not 1.42... That extra .08 makes all the difference :)

Our records indicate that your product is covered under Apple’s Limited Warranty and your estimated date of purchase was 24-Mar-06. Based on this data, your product will be covered by Apple service warranty for 284 more days.

wronski

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
Hmm I wouldn't bother driving to the Apple store at all. Call Apple, tell them what you wrote here, maybe in a more presentable manner, and I'm sure you'll get them to send you a new machine.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
javelin said:

First Apple has nothing to do with Photoshop and whether it is universal or not. There is a company that makes Photoshop called Adobe. Get it straight if you are going to complain.

Second, it sounds like you have a lemon return it for repair. If you don't want to drive, call Apple and they will send you a box.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
First of all, call Apple if it happens again, and as said, have them ship it back and forth if you don't want to drive. It's free. You do have another machine right? Because running a business off of 1 Mac mini wouldn't make any sense. Especially if it's an Intel mini and you know PS is still PPC. There's no $50 upgrade, that's for FCP Studio, which isn't even supported by the minis (though I've heard all but Motion run). I'm not saying it shouldn't work, because it should, but when the software costs more than the machine, that should tell you something about how well it's going to perform.

Otherwise, sell it or trade it for an old G4 Tower or something.

jTreu

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
if your running a business you should probably get a more pro computer, if you need PS now get an upgraded G4 tower or something PPC until PS is universal.

javelin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2006
I'm the OP and finally back online

I LOVE macs and am not in any way dissing macs. I have a huge dual processor mac G5 for my business AT my business, I just wanted to do some work here at home and wanted dual also. If this machine doesn't do photoshop well, why don't they say that? I had no idea of the problems with this machine and photoshop until my third trip into that store and an "apple genius" told me about the problems with some embarressment.
Why don't they tell you that, now, certain computers have certain jobs that they are good at and certain jobs that they SUCK at. This machine, I guess, is for music and video, but not photoshop. How was I to know that?

I HAVE called apple care, they say they can't do anything. I HAVE suggested that I send this machine in for more work instead of making my 90 mile trip, the reply???? You can send it, but we won't send it back... I said.. I DON'T WANT IT BACK.

Why did Apple, upon introducing this machine, state that anyone buying a mac mini could return it in 30 days and, in the first few days, rescind that statement. They probably knew there were problems.
I'm just disappointed in Apple that I have to stand on my head to get any possibility of getting back my $849.00 with tax.

Thanks for the offer of the other computer.... I'm going to think about it!!!

javelin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2006
to skubish

I am "getting it straight" skubish ....... I have absolutely NO CLUE what a universal binary is.... I'm just giving you the explanation I've heard several times from "mac geniuses" about why this machine has problems with photoshop..... they have said that they've had to write "univeral binaries" for many programs in order to have them link with the mac mini... they just haven't done one for photoshop yet ... they are doing that but it will cost users money to get it!!

They used the words "UNIVERSAL BINARY".... maybe THEY don't know what they're talking about..... hmmmmmm. could be.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yeah, but...

javelin said:
I had no idea of the problems with this machine and photoshop until my third trip into that store and an "apple genius" told me about the problems with some embarressment.
Why don't they tell you that, now, certain computers have certain jobs that they are good at and certain jobs that they SUCK at. This machine, I guess, is for music and video, but not photoshop. How was I to know that?

Hardware issues are terrible, I completely understand your frustration with that. Apple should have replaced the machine by now.

On the OTHER hand, Adobe not making Universal Binaries until 2007 has been WELL DOCUMENTED in numerous places online. Anyone who is willing to fork out $849 for a computer should be able to research that...

itcheroni

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2005
CA
I'm sure someone on here will give you a decent price for your mini. I have the same core duo mini and I'm very happy with it. Not a thing wrong with it. But you should definitely get rid of yours because it won't serve your needs until Photoshop is ready. I hope you give the mini another try some time later.

Try posting in the marketplace to trade your mini for a g4 mini plus cash or a g4 tower.

Acehigh

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2006
javelin said:
Why did Apple, upon introducing this machine, state that anyone buying a mac mini could return it in 30 days and, in the first few days, rescind that statement.

Too many deadbeats brought them. They sold too many and knew most of them will be returned. Even if they did like it. It was like getting a free computer for 30 days.

Just like how Ipod sell out right before spring break and they get returned a week later.

Well if you are in the "business" of "graphics" you should of known Photoshop will not work that well. Did you buy Photoshop for the Mini or did you illegally install it? Not sure why you arent mad at Adobe since PhotoShop CS2 is $600...

Maybe you should install an illegal copy of XP and run Photoshop for PC? since you already installed it illegally in OS X. Why not go all the way.

Acehigh

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2006
appleretailguy said:
Hardware issues are terrible, I completely understand your frustration with that. Apple should have replaced the machine by now.

On the OTHER hand, Adobe not making Universal Binaries until 2007 has been WELL DOCUMENTED in numerous places online. Anyone who is willing to fork out $849 for a computer should be able to research that...

I guess when you have an illegal copy of photoshop you dont do research. but she probably been using photoshop for 35 years also.

I wonder if she brought her mac from Woz... maybe she should call him to help her...

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
For a person that has used Macs for "35 years" and has a dual G5 at work and the job is using Photoshop you sure dont seem very familiar with the almost WORLDWIDE knowledge that Photoshop runs like crap under Rosetta especially on a Mini...

Acehigh

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2006
Peace said:
For a person that has used Macs for "35 years" and has a dual G5 at work and the job is using Photoshop you sure dont seem very familiar with the almost WORLDWIDE knowledge that Photoshop runs like crap under Rosetta especially on a Mini...

This person probably doesnt even have a Mini... Maybe she needs to take a picture of it with a sign that says MINI SUCK!.. F YOU ACEHIGH I GOT A MINI or something like that

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
javelin said:
I'm just giving you the explanation I've heard several times from "mac geniuses" about why this machine has problems with photoshop..... they have said that they've had to write "univeral binaries" for many programs in order to have them link with the mac mini... they just haven't done one for photoshop yet ... they are doing that but it will cost users money to get it!!
The core duo machines run Photoshop under Rosetta (Rosetta is what PowerPC Mac applications which are not Universal Binary use to run on intel Macs) approximately as well as a high end G4 tower. When the Universal Binary version of PS is released in 2007, it should double the performance on Intel machines. HOWEVER: the present version of PS is by no means non-functional on intel machines - non-UB is NOT the cause of the problems. It would also help if you would define the problems you are having, please.

There are two possibilities I can think of.

1) You are attempting to edit huge, high resolution files in Photoshop.
Solution: get a pro level machine, not the entry consumer Mac. The Mini (g4 OR intel) will never be a production-level machine for pro level graphics. Or redefine your expectations for Photoshop.

2) You may be attempting to run Photoshop with the stock 512 Mb of RAM under Rosetta.
Solution: Install sufficient RAM to run the program. Even with a G4 machine, 512 is marginal for Photoshop. Under Rosetta, you need 1.5 to 2 Gb RAM.
512 Mb RAM for any pro level graphics, audio or video software is non-viable.

How much RAM do you have?
What version of Photoshop are you using?

Networking: Is running an Ethernet cable (about $15) to the wireless router a viable option until you get the Mini sorted? Even with perfect Airport reception, a cables connection blows it away for speed and reliability.

bobjob186

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2005
Laguna Beach
Just relax

Mac Mini SUCKS when using photoshop! I blame you for getting a mini in the first place if you use photoshop for your business. Don't mean to be a jerk and I feel for you for getting a runt mini but mini = universal apps. You're better off with a cube :) (maybe be not but still). It's like saying you want to go to the zoo but you go to sea world instead and yes you still get to see animals but then you whine because you didn't get to see any elephants and you got your socks wet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.