Mac Mini suddenly slow to boot

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by vandrv, Jul 15, 2015.

1. vandrv macrumors regular

I have a late 2012 Mac Mini I7 with 16 gigs of ram and a 256 gig ssd. I'm running osx 10.9.5. It has always booted up quickly, but the last few days it has become very slow to boot. I haven't changed any settings that I know of. Any ideas as to what might be causing this and how to cure it? Thanks for any help.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

probably a software problem as SSD's tend to just fail.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Unlikely to be hardware, but it's worth checking the SSD SMART Data to see if it's corrupted. I use SMART Utility: http://cloudfront.volitans-software.com/smartutility314.zip

If that comes out as 'Passed', it'll be best to verify the volume by going to Disk Utility and clicking 'Verify Disk' on the volume - that's the bottom of the two 'Macintosh HD' partitions listed. If there are any corruptions found (red writing), then you can repair the volume through Disk Utility in OS X Utilities (hold Cmd+R on startup).

4. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Try starting while pressing the the (Command+V) keys for verbose mode and maybe you can find where it is stalling.

5. rwprater macrumors newbie

========

I've had that problem too. I have two Thunderbolt external disks. I found that if I shutdown, disconnect all external devices, and reboot the problem goes away. Then you can reattach external devices one at a time to find out which one is causing the problem. In my case I had to do a disk check on an external disk to fix the problem.

Randy

6. wakinghour macrumors regular