Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vandrv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
I have a late 2012 Mac Mini I7 with 16 gigs of ram and a 256 gig ssd. I'm running osx 10.9.5. It has always booted up quickly, but the last few days it has become very slow to boot. I haven't changed any settings that I know of. Any ideas as to what might be causing this and how to cure it? Thanks for any help.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I have a late 2012 Mac Mini I7 with 16 gigs of ram and a 256 gig ssd. I'm running osx 10.9.5. It has always booted up quickly, but the last few days it has become very slow to boot. I haven't changed any settings that I know of. Any ideas as to what might be causing this and how to cure it? Thanks for any help.

probably a software problem as SSD's tend to just fail.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

Unlikely to be hardware, but it's worth checking the SSD SMART Data to see if it's corrupted. I use SMART Utility: http://cloudfront.volitans-software.com/smartutility314.zip

If that comes out as 'Passed', it'll be best to verify the volume by going to Disk Utility and clicking 'Verify Disk' on the volume - that's the bottom of the two 'Macintosh HD' partitions listed. If there are any corruptions found (red writing), then you can repair the volume through Disk Utility in OS X Utilities (hold Cmd+R on startup).

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Try starting while pressing the the (Command+V) keys for verbose mode and maybe you can find where it is stalling.

rwprater

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2015
MidWest

========

I've had that problem too. I have two Thunderbolt external disks. I found that if I shutdown, disconnect all external devices, and reboot the problem goes away. Then you can reattach external devices one at a time to find out which one is causing the problem. In my case I had to do a disk check on an external disk to fix the problem.

Randy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.