Mac Mini superdrive is broken and i need windows installed

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Kcomplex, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Kcomplex macrumors newbie

My mac mini superdrive has decided it won't work any more and i need to install windows again on my bootcamp partition. Does anyone know whether it is possible to do this via an external USB CD/DVD drive???

i don't want to fork out for one only to discover it does not work and i have to get my mac mini fixed anway. Would appreciate any help on this matter including any other ideas about how to get windows back up and running on my mini as its an essential part of my setup.

Any info would be great. Thanks. I'm installing XP by the way.

2. P0CKS macrumors newbie

Ive been doing a lot of researching around of different ways as I am having a similar problem with my MBPro. THe superdrive decided to stop working completely, so now Im stuck trying out usbs and external optical drives. From what Ive learned so far from experience and from others is that be careful what optical drive you get, I had a 50$ LG which is compatible with mac and windows, but apparently it wont boot the cd when installing windows.
    Ive tried making my drive bootable for windows, using various methods such as the windows usb/dvd downloader application, and manually making my usb bootable by taking files from a windows cd.
    Ive had no luck with anything. But macs act differently depending on their year and model, so what may not work for me may work for you. Id suggest looking for threads with similar problems and similar models, if it worked for them that solution could very likely work for you.
    Good Luck!

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

This. QFT.

The "main" thread about this topic is here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=601414

Look to it for ideas, but what works for others may not work for you. The approach that uses a throwaway internal partition for the installer files is the one with the highest likelihood of success, but there may be some difficulty in creating the partition.

B