Mac Mini - Switch Back to MAC window + XP Installations

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by samacmini, Nov 1, 2012.

1. samacmini macrumors newbie

Hey Mac Rumors Expert's :)..!

I have few stupid or newbie question's about Apple Mac Mini, and while searching over google, i figure out this only forum can help me out.

I recently purchased "Apple Mac Mini Core i5 2.3GHz, 8GB RAM" from ebay, and wanted to use Window XP + Mac Window in it.

After unpacked my MacMini i connected HDMI wire plug with my DELL Desktop and used my Logitech Wireless Mouse and keyboard..which working like charm. But i saw one stupid VIDEO on youtube about Installing Window XP through bootcamp and now m in big mess.! :(

What i have done is, from Utility-->Bootcamp-->Window's and i separated my 500 GB hardick in two partition, 250 for MAC and 250 for window's.

Now its asking me to boot from CD, but i can't..! Is there any way to boot it with USB ?

Second question, i cannot switch back to MAC window. as its very first time i am using MAC Window so i have no idea how to switch on MAC WINDOW again.!

highly appreciated for your any help or advice

SAM

2. Omnius macrumors 6502a

You hold the option key when starting up the computer.

You can not install windows xp on your i5 mac mini. Apple does not support that OS being installed. You must use Windows 7 or newer on new model macs.

3. samacmini thread starter macrumors newbie

Thnx omnius. But I don't have Mac or apple keyboard m using normal keyboard Logitech .....and unfortunately I cannot find option key in it

4. Fifemacuser macrumors member

Hi,

I thought you could use vista or windows 7 on bootcamp, for a 2012 mac mini is this right?

5. vistadude macrumors 65816

No I think for the 2011-2012 macs, you can only use windows 7.

As for the OP's problem, you also cannot use a wireless keyboard and mouse for the install, has to be wired (this is an apple issue). Also don't connect your mini to your dell desktop with a hdmi cable, plug the cable from the mini directly into a monitor.

Best of luck.

----------

The alt key on a windows keyboard is the option key on a mac keyboard. Go figure what "options" you have in mac os.

6. samacmini thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks Yes its worked with ALT :)