Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
Am I right in thinking this is the same enclosure as the 2012 Mini?
There used to be space for two 2.5" HD or SSD. That's enough space to remove the fan and put a huge heatsink.

Reactions: Jimmy James

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I am guessing one way the Mac mini "got so cheap" was by using old spare parts that they already have on order in big quantities and the "redesign" will happen eventually with an increased price tag
Except Apple is famous for running their supply lines in a way such that they don’t have warehouses full of oversupplies of parts. I don’t think they have “old spare parts”.

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
I wonder where they took inspiration from...

rosen1547422849586.jpg
A G5 hackintosh build?

SmileyDude

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
MA
Does anyone know what that Apple chip on the bottom (below the M1) is? It's relatively large when compared with the other chips. I was originally thinking it could be flash storage, but there are a lot of passive components around it as well.

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
the space in there....maybe Apple for the top tier mac mini will ad another M1, dual M1 to be able to offer 4 usb4 and 2 external displays

SWAON

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2017
Europe
They could fit all internals in smaller case, probably this would be future redesign. Considering how good the M1 chip is, I can't be even mad on the design anymore..

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Why do multiple engineering challenges at a time when you don't have to?

Odds are the Air and mini will both receive a redesign in the next two or so years.

Both the 68k-to-PowerPC nor the PowerPC-to-Intel transitions came with mostly identical cases:

• the 6100 was the same cases as the 660AV
  • the 8100 as the 840AV
  • the 7100 was a little different to the 650, I believe
  • the MacBook Pro was virtually identical to the PowerBook G4 except for things like adding a webcam
  • the (Intel) iMac looked just like the iMac G5
  • the Mac mini was identical
  • the MacBook that came after a few months was a noticeable change from its preceding iBook
So, we might see a model or two next year that looks noticeably (but not drastically) different. The iMac would be one obvious choice.

The MacBook Pro also had a slightly larger display.

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
Perhaps the "pro" version will have M2 slots. That would be a good used for the empty space inside. The larger case also allows more room for I/O, which I know most Mac Mini users appreciate. Hopefully the M2 or whatever it is called has capacity for more USB4 ports.

Reactions: MiniApple

DogcowUK

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2007
The board is insanely small, amazing work. They have to make a 5" black glass covered cube Mac... for Steve.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
the space in there....maybe Apple for the top tier mac mini will ad another M1, dual M1 to be able to offer 4 usb4 and 2 external displays
I also hope for a more powerful Mac Mini, perhaps sharing specs with high end MacBook Pros. But rather than dual M1 chips, I think it will be an enhanced M1 with more CPU and GPU cores, hopefully higher RAM options, and if we're really lucky it will able to drive 2 Thunderbolt drives.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
They couldn't make a smaller enclosure for this? Really?
Might have something do with the price and the fact it shipped right on time...

However, it would have been cool if some kind of expansion port were found on the inside and there was the ability to slip in an m.2 ssd or something. Sometimes Rev 1's have unexpected bonuses like this...

Nov 12, 2020
Where would the PCIe bandwidth come from for those m.2 slots. Removing the 2 TB3 ports so you can have internal storage?
If there is not enough banwidth then that's a new limitation introduced by AS.

But let's be honest, even assuming there is bandwidth Apple wouldn't have given the buyer this option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.