Mac Mini... the little desktop that Apple forgot

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by DavidInSydney, Mar 29, 2017.

1. DavidInSydney macrumors newbie

C'mon Apple, all you have to do is put a new processor in it. How hard is that?

2. spacebro macrumors 6502

Refreshing the mac mini isn't in the mac retirement timeline.

3. Count Blah, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017

Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

oh they didn't forget, they seem to actively loath Mac users at this point.

No updates
    No information
    Broken promises on the rare occasions they do speak about Macs
    Empty pipeline when it concerns Macs
    Promoting iPad as a Mac replacement
    Etc...

4. Moolani macrumors member

Moolani

Seriously, I need something - my 2012 mini is getting old yet there is nothing in the current Desktop line up that I want.

5. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

I can only echo the sentiment you guys are expressing in this thread.
    I have a 2012 Mac Mini. It works great but I would like something with an updated CPU and graphics (moreso the graphics).
    Just can't understand how it can be so difficult for Apple to make even a minor update like that.
    Sheesh...

6. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl

It's not difficult,they just don't want to

7. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

Looks like I shall go Nvidia Shield TV, when my MM HTPC needs replacement.

8. Wildhope macrumors member

Wildhope

I just switched to a Mac mini 2012 from windows about two months ago and I didn't like Mac OS at first but now I just love it. I do hope they keep the product current and updated this year.

9. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

10. wjw0111 macrumors member

I also have this little work horse, though certainly not as spec'd out as yours. This thing was the first Mac I ever owned (was a linux geek through university and then got by on work-provided MacBooks after that). Got me through my first job "transition" as my primary computer. It's since been relegated to TV-duty. It sits side-by-side with my Apple TV now though and only gets used for when I need to access US content via VPN (I'm Canadian).

It is still always there when I need it, although I wonder what utility the model still serves today, aside from being the cheapest way into a Mac (which I suppose will always have its place)

11. Neodym macrumors 68000

Neodym

In my case, it serves as ... home server :) (with OSX server app). Small footprint, small power consumption and as quadcore more than sufficient for many years to come. GPU power doesn't matter in that scenario.

12. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

Tim Cook's Apple has full on Macstipation. At some point Tim will have to put some effort into it before the buildup ruptures the companies reputation. ;)

13. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Many of us who now have real computers on our desks feel that point has already passed. Three, four years without a single major update, lots of product loss, and key personnel disappearances is more than long enough to suggest deep, deep trouble. Things weren't even this bad in the late 90's.
    Yes, I know they're raking in the bucks, but cell phones are becoming a mature market too. It appears Apple has made little effort to figure out how to handle that, beyond sticking more ads purchase options into iTunes.

14. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

Trust me I feel exactly the same way.

I have a X99 based system that I currently use for gaming and some work. However most of my work is done from a nMP at the moment simply because I like macOS and it is my fastest Mac in multithreading. That depresses me on some fundamental areas because my gaming machine is in some ways way faster.

I dipped my toe into the hackintosh scene by rebuilding a LGA775 system. I changed motherboards and wireless cards but pretty much everything else came straight out of my previous gaming machine. It runs pretty smoothly minus a few strange things. For whatever reason it can't screen record and the location detection is broken.

A few years ago I would not have felt it worth my time to hack a Mac together. It seems though if I want a new true Mac Pro I'm going to have to make it myself. I'll probably end up selling my MSI X99A SLI Plus motherboard and buying an ASUS board that has no issues in running macOS with only the need to inject X99. Then I'll buy another SSD and install macOS onto it and make my Windows 10 boot drive an option in Clover.

Outside of the work nMP 3.5GHz 6 core, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, D700 graphics my actual Macs are probably the EOL unless Apple comes to their senses. The sad thing is I'm willing to try out the next generation iPad Pro but I don't see it replacing my computer needs because they simply can't run Windows. My Macs have to pull double duty so without Windows iOS is nice but not my primary tool.

15. craig45 macrumors member

Guess I'm going to have to do something. My early 2009 Mini is stuck on El Capitan. Guess I've gotten my moneys worth.

16. Meister Suspended

Meister

17. EnesM macrumors 6502

EnesM

18. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

Many are finding that Windows 10 is close enough.

19. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

Win 10 is surprisingly good.

20. Partron22, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017

Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Except that I have to use a different App to format USB sticks vs regular HD's; and not that Apple has any similar faux pas.

21. EnesM macrumors 6502

EnesM

I installed Win 10 on my kids' iMac for games that don't run on macOS, but my kids still rarely use it because they hate it. I honestly don't know what is so surprisingly good about it.

22. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

Many things are good about it. Speed. Stable. An actual modern UI/UX.

23. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

I use Windows since 3.11 version. And still use it (.NET developer).
    And I simply don't see any advantage in using Windows over macOS/Linux. Except for gaming of course.

That modern UI/UX isn't modern at all. UX is pretty bad, I mean, you have settings and control panel at the same time. WTF? Registry is still there, and as long as that thing exists, Windows won't be nearly as stable and good like *nix systems.

Telemetry is scary also. You can get around it, I have. But 99% of the people won't even know what that is, let alone to disable it.

Updates still suck, and compared to macOS updates, they are a joke. Want to disable updates? Good luck with that. Ohh you are on mobile hotspot? We don't care, here is you 3GB worth of updates.

I could go on and on about this. But I think you get the point. UX stands for User Experience. And Windows 10 has some nice UI, I will give you that. But UX is worse then it was on Windows XP.

24. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

I agree that this is still a problem and why in this day and age it is still used. I like Windows 10 for the ease of hardware utilization and control.

I use it mostly for gaming and specific Windows platform apps along with a Plex server for my media files.

I also use macOS for my Apple apps which are becoming fewer and fewer since I built my hack. It also makes an excellent Plex server. Biggest problem with macOS is that I have to use the IGPU because there are no drivers for my GTX 1070 GPU.

I use Linux Mint most of the time for a general desktop web browsing and entertainment. It will run some of my favorite games and could be setup as a Plex server also but has problems with mounting the NAS sometimes. Linux is very easy on resources and run effieciently compared with macOS and Windows.

Linux is my main OS along with full time VPN.