Mac mini then iMac.. or just wait??

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by kristofor, Sep 15, 2007.

1. kristofor macrumors member

Hi Everyone,

I have been looking at the 24"iMac and I deffinately would like to get one of those, however currently don't have the cash. I think that I might buy myself a mac mini and use that for 1 or 2 months then upgrade it to the imac and retire the mac mini to use in my media center.

My question is simple. How many people have used the mac mini with any graphics applications. Also how does it fair when running vista or xp? I know the imac is much better for graphic work, but considering I will eventually buy both, will the mac mini do ok for 3d or photoshop work? I do computer animation mostly using 3ds max. this means I would need to install xp and 3ds max, however other than this I would be trying to limit my usage of graphics applications.

I would say that it deffinately would be better than my current laptop, however I would lose speed over my PC. Either way I need to get both a mini and an imac. Do you think I should be ok with the mini for 2 months while I save some more for the imac?

Any experience you have had with the mini and xp would be great!! Also any experience with any graphics applications.

Thanks
    Kris

2. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Well the Mac Mini has a decent cpu in there. So if you got it then with 2gb of ram it will sing along nicely. And it can do photoshop no problem I would say. Not so sure about 3D work. But I'm sure other members will comment

3. kristofor thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that, If it can run photoshop ok it should be able to run 3d software.

Either way I figure it will work much much faster then my laptop which means it should do ok with 3d. I think the problem may just be if the graphics card can handle the 3d.

At least buying a mac mini will allow me to sell off my old computer and not be without something to work on.

4. JAT macrumors 603

Not sure why you'd say that since PS is not 3D software. But the Mini can definitely run Windows well and most applications. It runs PS fine, and Lightroom. Aperture a little slower, but definitely usable. 3D would likely be hampered by the graphics "card".

2GB of RAM ought to be the lowest anybody puts in any new computer these days, that applies to the Mini too. OSX takes nearly .5GB by itself, XP even more. I run both together via Parallels and XP runs faster than my work Dell Optiplex can manage on hardware.

5. kristofor thread starter macrumors member

The reason I say if it can run photoshop it should be able to run 3d software, is entirely because photoshop is one of the most cpu intensive programs around. 3d software is also very cpu intensive and hence the only question is whether or not the graphics card will be able to deliver.

Deffinately I would be getting 2gb Ram. I would also go for an external hard drive as I quickly run out of space.

It certainly is looking like a great option for a media center when I eventually do get an imac.

6. Kpjoslee macrumors member

Kpjoslee

Photoshop would be fine, but for computer animation work, I wouldn't consider anything less than Mac Pro.

7. kristofor thread starter macrumors member

A Mac pro would be great, but they are a little pricey for my liking. The Imac in Australia will cost me less than $4000AUD, the mac pro I would need to spend $6000-7000AUD. It's a huge price difference.

The imac 2.8 will be better than my pc in terms of speed.

The mac mini is deffinately better than my laptop. I only want to use the mac mini temporarily before buying an imac. So really I would be buying the mac mini for my home theatre and then using it to just play music and dvd's etc once i buy the imac. The ability to use 3d applications is really only something I need for probably 2 months while I sell my old computer and upgrade to the imac.