Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Inhambuxinta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2020
Hi,

I have a Mac Mini Late 2014 and after 6y of good usage I decide to reapply the thermal paste, I was getting hot temps lately.

But I notice that only the GPU has paste... there was no paste on the CPU, when I sought help on internet tutorials about that every video and article I saw had no paste on the CPU originally but always recommended applying there too. No one I found mentioned the lack of paste there initially btw.

If it originally came without paste should I apply? Or do need to only apply at the GPU?

Here's an image I took from the video Heat Sink Replacement - Mac Mini 2014 - 2017 (A1347)

BTW, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming the square without paste is the CPU and the rectangle is the GPU.

Thanks

Image.png

Apple-is-Cool

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2003
California, USA
The circle on top(large die) is the GPU and CPU SoC with L3 caches and memory controller, the circle on the bottom(small die) is the platform controller hub/chipset(PCH) which does not need thermal paste.

Just clean with an alcohol pad and apply paste to the large die, I recommend Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut for your Mac mini.
lxIUt6HNHJeXu1CI.huge

GPU/CPU SoC on left, PCH on right. Source: IFIXIT

Last edited:
Reactions: bernuli
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.