Mac Mini Thunderbolt or mini displayport

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by LaunchpadBS, May 16, 2012.

1. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this.

I've googled it with no result.

I need to know if the Mac mini supports mini displayport, of the ports I can see on the back it only has HDMI and Thunderbolt but in store it come with an optional Mini Displayport to DVI adapter, am I missing something or can the thunderbolt port double as a mini displayport?

I ask because I'm going to buy the refreshed Mini when it comes out but in the meantime I've been looking to get a new mini displayport to DVI cable for my MBP but it's at quite a premium.

2. simsaladimbamba

To learn more about Thunderbolt (TB) and its compatibility with Mini DisplayPort (MDP):
    [​IMG]

3. LaunchpadBS thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm assuming the Mini would be able to run one display from the HDMI and one from the Thunderbolt port too?

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Yes I do this with my base model mini every day

5. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

How do you find it? Is it slightly choppy in terms of UI?

6. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

No choppiness here.. I have a 2011 mini and I've used two different adapters: HDMI->DVI, and MiniDP->DVI.

They both perform identically. My monitor is 1920x1200 which is the max for my HDMI output-- if you need to use a resolution higher than that, then you'll need to use the MiniDP->DVI adapter.

BTW I have the server with the HD3000 graphics, nice and smooth for day-to-day stuff and HD video playback.