mac mini to asus monitor - "sputtering" problem

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by wfriedwald, Dec 14, 2018.

1. wfriedwald macrumors regular

wfriedwald

so I attach the new Mac Mini to the ASUS monitor via the HDMI port and every couple of minutes, it sputters, flickers briefly, like there's an electrical issue ... or something.

trying to isolate the problem, I then

attached the Mini to my projector (also via HDMI) and the problem does NOT re-occur, which makes me think the problem is with the monitor.

but then I connected my MacBook Air to the new ASUS monitor, and the problem ALSO did NOT re-occur, which makes me think the problem is with the Mini.

so what to do? next thing to try is connecting the Mini to the new ASUS monitor via some other port - as soon as those cables arrive in the mail.

Will report more at that point, and in the meantime, grateful for suggestions!

actually, here's a video taken with a smart phone, you can see the stuttering... just enough to be a deal-breaker.

<>

w

PS: the default resolution looks just fine on the ASUS monitor, but I may have to adjust it for the projector, although it also looks good for movies on the projector (I won't be using it to write eMails or anything with the projector... so I would say resolution is NOT an issue, as feared.)

2. OLDGUYWITHAHIFI Suspended

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

3. F-Train, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018

F-Train macrumors 65816

Good Lord. Frank Capra's A Hole in the Wall, with Frank Sinatra, Edward G. Robinson, Eleanor Parker and Keenan Wynn :)

Best known now for this Jimmy van Heusen/Sammy Cahn song, which Jack Kennedy, with changes to the words, used as a campaign song:

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Try a different connection scheme.
    That is:
    USB-c (mac end) to displayport (display end).

Then get back to us.

5. dimaspivak macrumors newbie

Having similar issues here. Along with the video glitches, I've also had screen flicker to black and even a few instances of the display taking on a green tint before going back to normal. Have replicated with a half dozen different cables and 2 2018 Minis, so looks like there's either a driver issue or a widespread hardware failure mode that Apple missed.