Mac mini to HDTV connection

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by leeroy, Jul 9, 2008.

1. leeroy macrumors newbie

Can I connect a mac mini to my HDTV via DVI to composite adapter (YPbPr) @ 1080i or do I need to use an expensive transcoder? Also I think a read about an application that will help with video settings but I can't seem to find that thread.

2. bedoig macrumors newbie

It sounds like you are talking about component, vs composite. To my knowledge, the Mini's do not support component out. They do support composite, but you will not get HD resolutions over composite.

Does your HDTV have HDMI or VGA inputs? Either of those are supported by the Mini, and would give you HD resolutions. You would just need the appropriate cables.

3. thecrackerjack macrumors member

4. webs2slow4me macrumors newbie

get a mini dvi to dvi adapter and then get a dvi to hdmi adapter. Its the same technology, just different connectors, plus hdmi carries audio and dvi doesn't. Just find another way to output the sound.

5. thecrackerjack macrumors member

Hmmm that starts to get expensive with adapter to adapter. Seems like mini-dvi on a box/imac is pretty much pointless.

6. bedoig macrumors newbie

Apple Mini-DVI to DVI adapter: $19

[​IMG]

DVI to HDMI cable from TigerDirect: $19

[​IMG]

I don't think $40 worth of cables on top of an $800 computer is too much to create a decent HTPC.

7. thecrackerjack macrumors member

U.S prices above I'm assuming.

Its 25$ for the adapter on the Apple.ca store plus shipping. The cable displayed above is actually just under 19$ from canadacomputers.

My reason would be a second screen from an iMac. But still another 40$ after spending ~2700$ !!!!

8. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

I just wanted to point out that there's no need for any sort of Mini-DVI adaptor since the Mac Mini has a full sized regular DVI/VGA port.

9. thecrackerjack macrumors member

Hmm maybe the next mini will have mini-dvi?...