Mac mini to HDTV

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by ffentoozler, Apr 7, 2010.

1. ffentoozler macrumors newbie

Hello, this is the first forum I've ever joined and I'm joining it because I am also a new Mac owner. I've switched over from PC because I strongly dislike Vista but that isn't important now. I am here to find out if there is anything that can be done about the picture quality I'm getting after connecting my new Mac Mini to my HDTV (which looks a lot like this: http://blog.bidstick.com/size-excellent-picture-color-quality-rolled-hl61a750-samsung-hdtv/ ) by using the mini DVI to DVI then DVI to HDMI adapter. I am getting a bit of overscan which I already tried to remedy by fiddling with my TV settings but to little avail. I can live with a little overscan, but I can't stand the poor image quality. The Mac Mini is outputting at 1080p but it still looks awful. Any suggestions?

PS: I'm at work now, but I can upload photographic examples of the image quality when I get home if necessary.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Are you sure you are using the right resolution? Have you played with the TV's settings? Post some pics when you get home and I'm sure there are people to help you

3. ffentoozler thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I guess it doesn't look as bad as I made it seem... but it still isn't great.

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

5. ffentoozler thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so it turns out I hadn't calibrated the "colorsync utility" because I didn't know it existed until a few hours ago. I like the way it looks now, so thank you for your help. I'm looking forward to getting to know my new Mac better. :apple:

6. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

on the tv there are settings , go to the settings and try to find the settings for sharpness and play a bit with them , i am also not quiet sure that that is the right resolution for it seems a bit to big
    On a tv you need to find the ideal resolution that matches the one from the mini , otherwise it gets a bit unsharp ,its still a tv and not a monitor even they look similar , so you need to play around with the resolutions too

7. stefimke macrumors newbie

Try to find a setting somewhere where you can also set the 16:9/auto-wide kind of stuff which looks like "just scan". Put it on "just scan" if you have it, it will probably fix your overscan issues.

(I've fixed XBMC Live overscan issues on a Samsung 1080p HDTV using this setting)

8. ffentoozler thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I have it on "Just Scan" but it didn't solve the problem. No biggie though. I can live with it.

9. ffentoozler thread starter macrumors newbie

It's on the right resolution, trust me, I'm a stickler about that. Either way, as I said... I am officially happy with the way it looks after messing with the "colorsync"

10. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I used Mini-DVI to DVI on my Samsung since the HDMI is being utilized by my XBox. Set the color profile to SyncMaster which is Samsungs color settings. Everything was just plug and play and works beautifully. I've never had any "overscan" issues or anything.

Using HDMI is kinda pointless(if you have an available DVI port) to me since you can't get Audio to pass through Apples adapters. DVI and a 3.5mm audio cable does the job just fine.