Mac mini to hold itunes or NAS

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mpovolo, Dec 27, 2010.

1. mpovolo macrumors member

I have a MAC and was planning on moving the itunes database onto a nas. Someone mentioned it would operate slow with streamining. So I figured for just a bit more I could get a mac mini and store the itunes there. thoughts?

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I had my iTunes content stored on a nas for years with no issues. Obviously wired will provide a more consistent experience than wireless. I've since moved the content back to my iMac, and back up to the nas instead.

3. mpovolo thread starter macrumors member

So that's why I wonder why bother with a NAS. perhaps use an external usb drive for backup and get a mini to run the itunes server. it's almost the same money.
    my NAS will cost about $450-500 and the mini is 200 more.

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I'm not really clear on what you want to do. A nas is great for centralized storage accessible 24/7 by all devices on your network. Not sure how the mini plays into that.

5. finalcut macrumors 6502

My audio files are on my Time Capsule. There is no lag at all. The only problem I have is to make sure I do not forget to mount my TC HDD before opening iTunes.

6. Mawal macrumors regular

I tried both...a high performance nas is expensive, a second hand mini quite a affordable...I bought a Mac Mini 2.1 with a newly installed 500GB HD, I added an external 1.5 TB HD.

The Mac Mini is located in the store cupboard of my flat. I control with the IOS remote app or using screen sharing on my macbook....

I couldn't be happier. It is is easy to handle, fast and snappy in reaction...with a very limited investment.