mac mini to older g4 moniter ????

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by nigelb, Feb 19, 2011.

1. nigelb, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2011

nigelb macrumors newbie

ok so i bought a new mac mini 2010 just got in the mail, i thought that i could just hook my old lcd power mac g4 monitor up to it and a way we go. ive been looking around and i think i need an adc to dvi adapter but not sure. what do i do? do i have to get a new monitor?

just a a new mac mini 2010 and want to use my old power mac g4 monitor keyboard and mouse set up, is this possible i have the lcd monitor.

MOD NOTE: Threads merged. Please do not create two threads on the same topic. Thanks.

2. MacHamster68, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

3. MacHamster68, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

with this adapter here you could get your adc display working on the mini 2009 , as that had still as dvi port , how it works with the new ones i dont know as you will need a displayport to dvi adapter or hdmi to dvi , and a adapter for a adapter to work is never a ideal solution , but worth a try if you want to keep the display
    http://www.macwarehouse.co.uk/catalogue/item/APPAC016you get them from anywhere really , stay clear of these simple dvi and adc adapters they wont work as you need ac power in order for your display to work
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Display_Connector

and apple did it again , they never thought someone would still use one of their old displays

4. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

What type of cable does the LCD use? If it's the older proprietary ADC type (if you used it with a G4 that's likely the case), then you'll have to track down a (likely expensive) DVI-to-ADC converter, as I don't see it being sold on Apple's site anymore.

5. nigelb thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I've been looking things up and it seems your both right thanks for the help with this problem! I guess that the apple display converter is my only way to get the LCD display to hook up because of the adc problem. If anyone knows a better solution or just a better monitor suggestion let me know I think I'm going to do some more research before I do anything.

6. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

sell the Apple Display (ACD) and buy yourself decent 23" monitor with DVI