mac mini to TV connection help.

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by BradleyGaulden, Aug 17, 2008.

1. BradleyGaulden macrumors member

hey all!

i have been in the marget for a tv for my bedroom for sometime. and since my monitor for my mini died a few days ago (more like fell down the stairs and blew up:eek: ) and i was like yes! another item for my argument to get a tv! lol any who long story short i called walmart and they had a 37" magnavox HD LCD for 400 bux! it was a steal! so of course i took the deal, and excitedly took it home and mounted it on the wall. now i knew it was to good to be true, although it came with a HDMI port, only enough for my xbox, i didnt have a VGA to hook up a computer.

CRAP.:rolleyes:

so i was wondering if there is a way i can hook my mini up to the TV without a VGA port, like a converter. i think the only ports left are the composite ones.

i think that there is a way to use the HDMI port but then that would pose the problem of having to unplug my xbox everytime im on the computer, and that would be really annoying.

i dont know if this would help but
    the model number is
    37MF32ID-37

and the serial number is
    BZ3A0623174927

thanks all!!

:eek:

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Quick but expensive solution is buy a hdmi switch.

Then use dvi to hdmi cable and 3.5 to 3.5mm sound cable for audio..

Switch away on hdmi switch .. :)

3. BradleyGaulden thread starter macrumors member

thanks.

that sounds goodm there's some good deals on HDMI splitters on amazon,

the 3.5mm cable thing, why does that have to carry the audio, i thought that HDMI carried sound and video?

4. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

'cause dvi doesn't carry audio. Mini doesn't have hdmi port that's why you need a DVI - hdmi cable to hdmi switch, if you got alot hdmi items for tv.
    3.5mm cable for audio unless you want excellent audio then you need a toslink
    cable..

DVI = Digital video path..
    Hdmi= Digital video/Audio combine path..

5. belunos macrumors member

I've found monoprice.com to be the best place to buy audio/video accessories. They would be happy to help you with any questions you may have, and the prices are nearly unbeatable. I don't work for them or anything, but I've bought a ton of stuff from there and never had any problems.

6. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

+1 for Monoprice. They are awesome.

7. qor1979 macrumors newbie

LCD tv from Walmart? Why man? They're cheaper there for a reason. $800 at Bestbuy would have gotten you at least 2 HDMI ports, a VGA and better picture quality. What happens when something goes wrong with your Brand X Walmart TV? They don't have PRPs like Bestbuy does. If I were you, I'd box that paperweight back up, return it and save for the better brand.