Mac Mini to TV help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by docefc, Jul 8, 2009.

1. docefc macrumors newbie

I've searched countless forums for help with this but i cant seem to find help for my specific problem, I have purchased a new mac mini to upgrade my 1st gen ppc one, very happy with it. However i wish to turn my old mac mini into bit of a media centre for watching youtube etc. using my tv a panasonic viera, the tv does not have hdmi but does support high def through component cables. I want to hook my mac mini (1.42 mhz and upgraded to 1gb ram) to the tv using component cables as the pc input is on the front and this is not aesthetically acceptable to my parents, can i do this by simply purchasing a dvi-i to component cable available on ebay? or will i need some sort of digital analogue switcher? I have tried using apples dvi to video (composite) adapter and the quality is simply not good enough.

Thanks for any help and sorry if this is a topic brought up time and time again.

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I googled and found a few links that should get you started (the first 2 especially). I am not sure how well daisy-chaining cables will work. Also note that the mini can't pass audio over HDMI or component so you will need to get your audio and convert it to Red/White for the TV as well.