Mac Mini to TV sound?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by phas3, Dec 9, 2010.

1. phas3 macrumors 65816

Okay so I got a toslink and connected it to my headphone hack in the mini. I've got a Samsung 46" LED, where do I connect the other end? I don't have a reciever btw.

2. fa8362 macrumors 65816

You don't. Your TV almost certainly can't accept a toslink digital input. Check your manual and/or your TV connections, but I've never seen a TV with a toslink or coaxial digital input.

3. EvilC5 macrumors 6502a

usually the optical is an output on the tv....

you could go HDMI to the tv, then optical out from the tv to your processor....

I have been thinking of doing this since my older a/v receiver only has 2 optical inputs and no HDMI, and I have 3 optical devices that I would like to connect.

send my 3 HDMI to my Samsung tv, and let the tv split and send the audio back out to one input on my reciver....

4. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

5. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks guys, I tried the headphone jack from the mini to the tv using the 1/8tj to 1/8th it worked but damn the Samsung's speakers suck.

6. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

Pretty much true of all TVs these days. As they get slimmer, it just becomes impossible to put decent speakers in them.

If you don't want to get a full blown receiver, you might want to take a look at some soundbars. These can provide a big upgrade at a reasonable price.