Mac mini to TV via HDMI w/ audio?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by jgmacrum, Apr 1, 2010.

1. jgmacrum macrumors member

Hi there ...

I could have sworn that I've seen adapters to do what I'm picturing, but now I'm drawing a blank. I'm thinking of getting a mac mini, and would like to hook it up to A/V system via HDMI. Obviously the minis don't have HDMI, but I would think that there should be an adapter to go from either the minidisplayport or minidvi to HDMI. That's fine & dandy, but one reason I'd like the HDMI is for the sound to go straight in as well as opposed to connecting the video & audio separately.

Are there devices which can take both video & audio out from the mini and transpose it to a HDMI signal on the other end?

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

You'll need separate cables regardless, for some crazy reason Apple's (subjectively) crippled the video and audio out - the Mini DisplayPort/DVI connections are for video only, and even though you want to you cannot send both video and audio over HDMI using a Mac, you will have to connect another cable to the audio-out for sound.

3. jgmacrum thread starter macrumors member

4. jgmacrum thread starter macrumors member

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Looks like it would. USB not toslink, though.

6. jgmacrum thread starter macrumors member

To be honest, too many years of overly loud music have ruined any hope of me ever being any sort of audiophile so that sorta thing doesn't bother me. I just want the audio combined w/ video for convenience sake.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Its not a quality issue really as they are both digital, just in case you don't have a spare USB port.

8. jgmacrum thread starter macrumors member

Ah good point. Do you have the monoprice adapter that you mentioned in your first post? If so, does it work well?