Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
Can anybody recommend a good Toolkits for Mac Mini? Also I guess based on RAM upgrade videos of the 2018 Mac Mini, the Logic Board removal tool is no longer needed? Is this a good toolkit? https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0718ZM6R1/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1 Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

If I was going to purchase a kit, I'd go with a well-known brand. This iFixit kit includes everything that you need to change out RAM: https://www.amazon.com/iFixit-IF145...7&sr=1-3-spons&keywords=ifixit+tool+kit&psc=1

I say this because one of the contributors here said that he stripped his driver on one of the screws. Personally, I have never heard of somebody stripping a driver on a job like this. I guess he's lucky that it was the driver that stripped, and not the screw. Stripping the screw would have been a very expensive lesson. Unsurprisingly, that contributor said that he would be using tools of better quality next time :)

Last edited:

galactic orange

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2018
I bought a kit from an electronics store a couple of months ago to open up another device for cleaning and it has a lot of different tools. It has the T6 but no "TR6" however the T6 (and all the other "T-style" drivers) in there has the little circle-shaped divot at the top/end. Does that make it a TR6? Sorry for my ignorance on the subject.

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
I bought a kit from an electronics store a couple of months ago to open up another device for cleaning and it has a lot of different tools. It has the T6 but no "TR6" however the T6 (and all the other "T-style" drivers) in there has the little circle-shaped divot at the top/end. Does that make it a TR6? Sorry for my ignorance on the subject.

All Torx drivers have T sizes, such as T6, T25, etc., corresponding to a screw size.

This does not tell you whether it is a standard Torx driver or a special driver with a bore hole that is variously called a Security Torx, Tamper Resistant Torx or Tamper Proof Torx driver.

All manufacturers will use one of those names to describe these special drivers and some will also use a designation. Wiha uses T6s, the s standing for Security. Some manufacturers use TR6, the TR standing for Tamper Resistant. Some use neither. PB Swiss will simply say that a driver is a Tamper Proof T6. In other words, the prefix TR is neither “official” nor universal.

Having watched all the videos, it appears that the only Security Torx driver you need is a T6. If your driver has a bore hole, it is probably a Security driver. There is no other reason for the bore hole. Maybe drop into a place that sells tools to confirm?

David Gewirtz, in his video, used what he called TR drivers for everything. It is quite possible that he was using Security drivers on standard screws.

Apropos of nothing...
As I understand it, you are in Japan. There are some really good makers of hand tools there :)

Last edited:

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
iFixit should be able to fix you up with needed tools.

Or, if you want a general source for high quality mostly German electronics tools including everything needed for Mini, I recommend Wiha Tools (www.wihatools.com). Huge selection and reasonable pricing and shipping from Minnesota. I've been a delighted customer for 15 years.

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
iFixit should be able to fix you up with needed tools.

Or, if you want a general source for high quality mostly German electronics tools including everything needed for Mini, I recommend Wiha Tools (www.wihatools.com). Huge selection and reasonable pricing and shipping from Minnesota. I've been a delighted customer for 15 years.

I use PB Swiss and Wiha, and both are excellent. For the U.S. and Canada, PB Swiss has only two retailers, one in Georgia (www.pbtools.us) and one in Washington State (www.toollady.com). As @colodane suggests, Wiha has a stronger U.S. presence, and it sells via both its own web site and Amazon. Wera tools (https://www-us.wera.de/en/) are also excellent.

However, you can purchase the entire iFixit kit for what three screwdrivers from PB Swiss, Wiha or Wera would cost.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
one of the contributors here said that he stripped his driver on one of the screws. Personally, I have never heard of somebody stripping a driver on a job like this.

Torx is better at not stripping but it’s not impervious. He probably used a T8 or T9 tool in a T10 screw, just not enough edge there to grab.

Reactions: F-Train

galactic orange

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2018
As I understand it, you are in Japan. There are some really good makers of hand tools there :)
That might be the case. I'm not sure if the tools are made in Japan or somewhere else, but I'll check when I get the chance. In Japan, they like to take liberties with naming things. But I wouldn't be surprised if what they call a T6 is the security version just out of convenience; especially if there's no downside to using a TR6 tool on a T6 screw.

Reactions: F-Train
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.