Mac Mini + Touchscreen + Tv? Help please! :)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ktbubster, Feb 18, 2008.

1. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Ok, So here is the idea.

I have a mac mini, and am looking to convert it into an entertainment center.

Easy enough....

However, the thing is is that I want to mount it under a table and have the control center for it be basically touchscreen. SO what I want to do is hook it up to a touch screen monitor (a kiosk monitor, it works with... that's not a huge issue), but i ALSO want to hook it up to the tv then. Now, at first I didn't see the obvious flaw, since I was thinking about using an iMac at first and getting a touchscreen overlay, and since that can dual monitor already since it has a monitor... or a laptop.

However, think a mac mini would be the best, sooooo would it be possible to hook the mini up to a touchscreen LCD AND the TV at the same time and use them as dual monitors or well, one extended monitor? Could I just use a basic dvi-vga splitter for this? Any suggestions for good ones?

I would probably prefer the monitors to be extended anyway, or used in the same way as when you attach another monitor to a macbook or imac anyway, with the touchscreen being the main monitor and the tv being the second, is there ANYWAY to do this? The touchscreen would be 1070x1024 or whatever that resolution is, and the tv is 1380x1170 orso? widescreen 32 inch LCD tv. 720p.

Would that matter, could i just use them as one big monitor with a dvi/vga splitter?

Anyhelp would be appreciated.

IF this won't work, I can still look into getting a touchscreen overlay for a 17inch used imac, I would still have to find, but I'd really prefer to use the mini and a separate touchscreen, as it would def be cheaper and easier to do.

Thanks!

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

i could be mistaken, but i dont' think the mini can handle two monitors..help me out here guys.

3. tderemigis macrumors member

well isnt there that add on to help the mini support two separate monitors, i think its called head2go or something?, but i think this guy is actually talking about making an extended desktop and only having part of it portayed on the touchscreen, and the rest "spill over" to the lcd as well.

4. Bakey macrumors 6502

It's by Matrox; take a look at...

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gxm/products/mac/home.php

;)

5. ktbubster thread starter macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

If I were to use a normal DVI splitter to simply have a mirror image on each screen, could each screen be displaying the image at a different resolution? The resolution of my tv is 1300ish by 1000 whatever and the resolution of the touchscreen is 1024 by 900 (regular 3/4 ratio 15incher old).

I'd like both, or the tv specifically to display at it's native resolution, could that be done wtih just a basic dvi splitter with mirroring? or would it automatically set itself to the resolution of the smaller screen or larger?

that might work too, if i can control the tv from teh touch screen... but with the difference in ratio i am curious how that would work.

6. '73-B macrumors regular

Did you come up with a solution? I'm interested in doing something similar.