Mac Mini TV Performance?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by zedsdead, Mar 19, 2011.

1. zedsdead macrumors 68040

How does the Mac Mini handle itself when being used directly with a large TV?

I have a 1080p TV, 46" and plan to use it as a computer to show people how to use iPhoto and iMovie and such. I had my MacBook Air hooked up, and it worked fine as a second monitor but there was minor lag at times. When the Air was hooked up to my Apple 24" LED there is no lag at all so I was wondering if the screen size has anything to do with it.

Does the Mini handle this situation well? I am currently waiting for the refresh, but wanted some opinions in case this has been an issue or not.

2. mdgm macrumors 6502a

The next Mac Mini should be fine for that. If as hoped it gets a Sandy Bridge processor it'll make the MacBook Air look terribly slow in comparison for CPU intensive tasks, especially if you put a SSD in the Mini.

As for EyeTV, the current Mini isn't as powerful as many of us would like, but I find it to be adequate. Hopefully the refresh will correct this and allow smooth playing of live sport in HDTV using progressive scan.

3. zedsdead thread starter macrumors 68040

I think part of the issue was the 2.13 core2duo processor in the Macbook Air, but I agree that the next Mac Mini should be much more powerful. The Graphics Card will be a downgrade, but shouldn't be that much of a difference.

4. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

I have a 2010 unibody mini hooked up to a 37" Vizio 1080p HDTV as it's main monitor. (I also have a 24" HD monitor as a dual monitor, but I rarely use that).

I have had absolutely no issues at all using a large HDTV. There isn't any lag, the picture is fantastic, etc.

I play a ton of movies on this thing, using Front Row, VLC, and Boxee (and the iPad has apps to use as a remote for all 3).

I'd highly recommend it.

5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

I have had no problems pushing a Vizio 47" LCD, or a LG 37" LCD with my 5 year old Mac mini, 3 year old MacBook (both in sig), or my girlfriend's '09 13"MBP.

6. zedsdead thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks for all the feedback. I can't wait until they are updated! I have wanted one for years, but never had a practical use for it until now. Very excited. :D

7. fa8362 macrumors 65816

I have EyeTV and two 2009 Minis and see no problems other than the motion problem inherent in 1080i video. Changing computers won't fix that problem.

8. dcoulson macrumors member

Doubt screen size has anything to do with it - I'm running three displays off my Mini without any lag (2 at 1920x1080 aka 1080p and one at 1920x1200).

Do you have the Mac Mini plugged into a port labeled HDMI/DVI that is perhaps handled differently by the TV? I'm thinking image processing on the TV might be the cause of the lag, but I'm not 100% sure.

9. zedsdead thread starter macrumors 68040

I don't have one yet, which is why I was asking...lol...glad to hear it works great though.