Mac Mini Update 2016: WHEN?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by LERsince1991, Dec 28, 2015.

1. LERsince1991, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015

LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

Are there any upcoming events to hold off for that the mini could be updated within?

Looking for a mini but can't buy it with the Haswell 2013 processors.
    When will they update to Skylake 2015 processors?

2. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

3. Micky Do, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015

Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

The Mac Mini doesn't seem to be receiving much attention by Apple insofar as "updating" is concerned. It's probably at the bottom of their priority list.

I'd reckon we'll see an update in late 2016, perhaps early 2017.

Although Apple could surprise us...

5. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

I would expect it in late 2016. Either way, don't expect to be too impressed. Intel is making a NUC with Iris Pro 580 which Apple I HIGHLY DOUBT would put in if they were making a new mini. You would be more likely to see Iris 550 (part of 28 watt U processors) or Iris 540 (part of 15 watt U processors) or worse they make a Core M mini.

6. tate16t macrumors newbie

If you were to consider a Mac mini today, what approach would you take?

7. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

I was looking at:

2.6ghz i5
    PCI-e 256gb SSD
    8GB RAM

£650 with student discount

8. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

I would go with the above except replacing 8 GB of RAM with 16 GB of RAM.

9. Fishrrman macrumors G4

LER:

You might also consider the 1tb fusion drive option (which I believe costs the same as the 256gb SSD).

For that, you get a 120gb SSD paired with a 1tb HDD.
    Much more storage space and performance which will be nearly as fast.

10. tate16t macrumors newbie

11. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Different folks have different needs/desires for different purposes/reasons. What one recommends based on their own requirements, may not be appropriate for someone else.

Work your way through the page on the Apple website where you can work your way through various options for a custom order. Select the model you are interested in and check out the options. There is advice on choosing options to suit.

http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/mac-mini

12. Jedi macrumors regular

Jedi

OK , so basically what you guy`s are saying is buy the best Mini U can afford today , because what they have now may be the best ?

All I know is at some point my 2007 plater is going to stop spinning , and when that happens , ( if there even is a Mini to be had ) or they come out with a new and better one , then I will buy.

I have to be honest , playing Apple`s waiting game really sux sometimes :(

Anyway , Happy New Year :)

Gary 

13. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

^ Yes, the folks who know and love minis are most wise. Go for it now. Apple's obsession with thin and small will continue and I doubt they'd go backward with the mini.

If it was me, I'd get the 16gb and 256 ssd and supplement my storage externally. I didn't jump because I wasn't sure if the Iris integrated GPU would cut what I have to do at university.

Happy New year to You too.

14. tate16t macrumors newbie

I'm looking for opinions on the i7 processor option. There may be a particular reason one would need one but not buy Apple's i7 mini.

15. MechaSpanky macrumors 6502

MechaSpanky

Jedi,

I'm in a similar situation as you! I'm still using a 2005 Power PC mac mini, I believe it's one of the first generation ones. Of course it is a plater as well and eventually it will stop spinning but even after 10 years, it keeps on going. Incredible really if you think about it. I still use it daily for some older software that I have that I didn't bother to upgrade when I moved to an Intel model! I would love to buy a new mac mini but the last update was a real let down with the soldered RAM. If they would release a more user upgradable model like they used to, I would be one of the first inline! It doesn't need to be that user upgradable but at least let me install my own RAM (and hard drive would be nice as well)!

Mecha

16. Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

No, I would not. :cool:

That 2014 i7 option is $200 over the cost of the 2.8 Ghz i5 with standard fusion drive. Neither chip is quad core and both do hyper threading. I suppose that the extra 0.2Ghz is good for bragging rights but there might be a better way to spend the additional cash. The 2.0 TB fusion option is only $100 more and the 16GB RAM boost seems more "bragworthy". ;)

17. tate16t macrumors newbie

By fusion you mean VMWare Windows Fusion?

Thanks

18. Butchie-T macrumors regular

19. Jedi macrumors regular

Jedi

Hi Mecha ,

Thanks for the info , 10 years and still spinning !! WOW :)

Everyday I turn on my MM , I expect it to just sit there !! LOL

I have the Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 with 4 gigs , and I am running 10.6.8.

I tried running "Sid Miers / Pirates " , but my temps started going through the roof , so I am hooked on "Warblade" ( great game for older MM ) .

Even with the dedicated GPU , I don`t won`t to over heat it ( heat = death :eek: ).

I even have a small chopping block under it so it gets more air circulation !!

Later :)

G. 

20. Celerondon, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2016

Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

No, sorry but I meant the 2TB Fusion Drive (FD) option. I inadvertently left out the word drive in my reference to the storage system.

Fishrrman is correct about the prices of the 1TB FD and 256GB SSD. They are the same. The 2TB is $100 more than either storage option.

:(
    (holiday error edit)

21. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

I'm new to thinking about what goes on with the mac mini so forgive my ignorance, but is apple's update cycle with it similar to the mac pro? Like they don't update it as much as their MacBooks and stuff. It's on like a bi-yearly basis?

22. Jedi macrumors regular

Jedi

TIP :

1TB Fusion Drive or 256GB SSD ?

Best coice , considering the latest MM is near impossible to mod yourself , but does have plenty of ports for external drives , to me at least would be the SSD.

Even if that SSD was only have the size , it would still be a better choice , why ?

Less moving parts to break , PLUS , less moving parts = less heat build up = longer overall life.

Just my opinion , thats all !!

Later :)

G. 

23. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

I've taken the plunge and gone for the 8gb ram and 256gb ssd with the mid model processor, with educational discount it's £650 gbp.

24. Jedi macrumors regular

Jedi

25. Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

Yes. Lately the Mac mini almost always gets updates on a bi-yearly basis. The update rumors tend to be a bit more frequent. ;)