Mac mini update speculation on performance? based on macbook or mbp?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Drew n macs, May 3, 2010.

1. Drew n macs macrumors member

Is the Mac Mini similar to macbook or MBP 13 or neither?

Judging by the spring 2010 mbp updates any guess/speculation when the mini comes out, any speculation what it would have? Just curious since its going to be plugged into the wall and battery life wont be an issue, I wonder if they would bump up the c2d to i3 or i5 (I assume laptop chips not desktop chips)? or is there not enough room in the tiny box?/ heat issue? no clue.

As always no one knows what apple is doing but I am sure someone can make a logical guess based on latest mbp updates. I am assuming mini is built on a 13 inch laptop platform...

2. FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

I think if they update the mini it will be with the 320M, like the MBP 13'.

The current Mac Mini use nvidia's MCP79 chipset (9400M), and from what I saw on the Net, the new chipset (MCP89, with the 320M) is a pin-to-pin compatible replacement solution for the MCP79, and it require even less power (55nm vs 40nm), so the new mini would still be "green".

3. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

I love to see an i5 version, but I doubt it'll happen. Most likely it'll be a 13" Macbook in a smaller box. Whilst I think there's a fair bit of life left in the C2D chips (for existing Macs) I wish they'd kill them off for new products.