Mac Mini Update

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by philipxz, May 15, 2007.

1. philipxz macrumors regular

philipxz

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

It seems that the Mac Mini may be the new eMac. Basically not upgraded until no one buys it, but kept around so they have a 'cheap Apple option'. Quietly discontinued years later.

3. philipxz thread starter macrumors regular

philipxz

urrrrrrr:mad: eMac :mad:

ummm wouldnt that be the iMac??

4. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

I am guessing Apple is waiting for Penryn to update the Mac Mini but I could be wrong.

5. yagran macrumors 6502a

yer i waited around for ages for them to update it, i ended up buying one in febuary. its honestly not as bad as ppl say. spend the extra and get 2gb of ram and a 1.83ghz and ull be fine!

6. philipxz thread starter macrumors regular

philipxz

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I think that if they upgraded it to the same specs as the macbook has now, it will have a huge impact on potential switchers...and Leopard will have the same effect...

Upgrades of hardware and software will swing any potential switcher to the good side :)

8. philipxz thread starter macrumors regular

philipxz

9. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Maybe after the hype of Santa Rosa cools down we will get a C2D X3100 mini, as long as it doesn't eat the :apple:TV sales.

11. thedudeAbides macrumors member

Discrete graphics card

During the G4 mini's, Apple had a discrete graphics card (and actually used that fact in its marketing), but only 1 ram slot. So in the switch to intel, did they add a ram slot to give up discreet graphics? Can they not have at least a 128 mb graphics card and 2 slots for ram?

Please don't tell me they are going to drop this machine in the wake of the apple tv.

Regardless, it needs an update or a serious price drop. in my opinion, much more than the meager update that the macbook got.

12. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Who cares what happens to the Apple TV sales? They're two totally different products. One is a computer, the other is a TV box which doesn't seem to do much!

13. purelithium macrumors 6502

purelithium

Never going to happen. HDMI is mainly a TV option, and with the Apple TV being in the lineup, Apple will never support something like HDMI in a dedicated PC.

14. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

????

Just use an adapter...

15. yagran macrumors 6502a

your not wrong. if mac mini is to survive apple will differentiate it as much as possible from the :apple:tv

16. purelithium macrumors 6502

purelithium

Exactly What I meant was they would never implement the physical HDMI connector in a mac mini.

17. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

Your HDTV doesn't have HDMI and DVI??

Hell, Sharp even threw in a couple of Firewire ports on my Aquos.

18. philipxz thread starter macrumors regular

philipxz

19. purelithium macrumors 6502

purelithium

I'm not talking about TV's I'm talking about a Mac Mini being engineered and marketed as a DESKTOP device. Sure lots of people use them as HTPC's. With the advent of the Apple TV, there's NO way Apple will support a predominantly TV-oriented connector like HDMI.

Regardless of the fact that the line between TV's and monitors has blurred in the past few years, Apple wants the Mini to be used with a dedicated computer monitor, and has supplied a connector that will allow that.

The Mini is a Low-End PC, not a High-performance AppleTV.

Your guess is as good as any one else's here. this is a RUMORS site. Nothing here is accurate, and rarely will anyone here know anything before the rest of the world. Just keep reading the news sites and make your own opinions.

chances are if you're not satisfied with the specifications of the Mac Mini as it is, you aren't going to be happy with the "updated" one either. They aren't going to fundamentally change the Mini for a while. Take the new MacBook specifications as a guideline, and you may see an update at WWDC or an update when Leopard comes out. But as I said before, if you're not happy with that answer, I don't know.

20. Tara Davis macrumors regular

Why does this keep coming up???

HDMI and DMI are pin-for-pin exactly the same video connection. You can buy cables that are HDMI on one end and DVI on the other, and they work perfectly.

The only difference is HDMI connectors are shaped differently and also can carry audio.

If you are doing home theater, you probably wouldn't be using HDMI for your audio anyway when you can have optical surround sound going straight to your amp.

Adding an HDMI output would be utterly pointless.

C2D and 802.11n are THE features to hold your breath for with the next line of minis, especially if you want to use it for a home theater hub.

21. purelithium macrumors 6502

purelithium

Christ. I know that. I'm saying that HDMI is found on HOME THEATRE Components, DVI is on Computing components. There is NO need to have the Mini support HDMI since it already has DVI and optical audio, both perfectly good at what they do.

22. Tara Davis macrumors regular

But it ALREADY DOES support HDMI video, that's my point. Hell, I put it in huge letters and everything.

23. Tara Davis macrumors regular

I would shrink them down if I thought there was any other way to get the message through to some of these lunk-heads that keep saying inane stuff like "the mini will never support HDMI."

24. purelithium macrumors 6502

purelithium

I think we're saying the same thing. I'm saying that Apple will never put a PHYSICAL HDMI socket in the Mini, as it already has something that is functionally exactly the same.

25. dex22 macrumors regular

Although HDMI includes DVI as a subset, it should be noted that the mac mini can not support the HDMI extended features, like two-way interface, autoconf and one-touch play. The mac mini does not act as an HDMI 1.3 device so does not support HDCP. It only supports HDMI features up to 1.2, I believe.

Some display devices already have HDCP enabled, and when fed a DVI input will blank the screen because of a broken HDCP chain.

So, while you can get a DVI/audio -> HDMI cable, there's a reasonable chance it won't work with your display device now, and an increasing likelihood of this in the future, as HDMI gets 'switched on' in more devices - this goes hand-in-hand with BR/HD-DVD adoption rates.