Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k8to

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2006
No EMT64, no biscuit.

I wonder if Apple will be able to ship a monitorless, affordable, quiet core 2 computer before a boutique vendor fills the gap. If so, no mac for me!

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
relimw said:
It may have been introduced then, but that wasn't the last time it was refreshed . See here which is actually on May 16th.

Come on, apple updated the MBP before it even shipped! The pace of things are different nowadays.

the MBP WILL get C2D in the next ~2 weeks tops.

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
A Core 2 Duo mini would be nice, but I don't think we'll see one until January now with this small mini update.

And even as much sense as a C2D mini makes, I think it would have taken some thunder away from the iMac updates.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
corywoolf said:
Apple's cheapest computer= Mac Mini. Also, I was comparing that to my less then 6 month old 1.83 Ghz MBP.

Ah, I misunderstood. Well, it shouldn't be a surprise. At some point even the $599 mini will have a chip faster than yours. That's just the way things go.

k8to said:
I wonder if Apple will be able to ship a monitorless, affordable, quiet core 2 computer before a boutique vendor fills the gap. If so, no mac for me!

There's a good reason apple didn't go Core2 on the mini...it would make it too close to the new minitower they'll be announcing soon!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The bottom model is now a great deal, but I agree that bringing in a cheaper model would be nice. $499 Core Solo would be power to spare for a lot of people. I know it's more power than the G4 I'm typing on has :)

milo said:
There's a good reason apple didn't go Core2 on the mini...it would make it too close to the new minitower they'll be announcing soon!
I like where your head is :)

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
bubbalwz said:
Originally Posted by mdntcallr
cmon apple. get a clue.

these little mini's are nice but not great. there is a real void in your product lineup.

we need something with like a intel conroe chip, larger case, the ability to put in a better graphics card, and the basics like more ram, bigger hard drive and stuff.

give us a bigger mid sized tower type computer.

we all don't want to buy something with a screen. nor do we want some tiny puny non-upgradeable thing like the mac mini.

give us better options.

ironically, this is why Apple stock does not plummet like other computer vendors. giving buyers few options to upgrade forces people to keep upgrading the system. you know that Apple Mac users upgrade their computer more often than PC users.

more upgrade of Mac = more Mac sales. good for Apple.

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
milo said:
Mac Pro mini anyone? That would be kind of cool. I'm sure someone will photoshop up a pic soon.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
syklee26 said:
ironically, this is why Apple stock does not plummet like other computer vendors. giving buyers few options to upgrade forces people to keep upgrading the system. you know that Apple Mac users upgrade their computer more often than PC users.

Or it encourages them to look at PC alternatives. Do you have a source on mac users upgrading more often? Among the people I know it's the other way around.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
milo said:
Ah, I misunderstood. Well, it shouldn't be a surprise. At some point even the $599 mini will have a chip faster than yours. That's just the way things go.

Good thinking! That's the spirit?

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
milo said:
Or it encourages them to look at PC alternatives. Do you have a source on mac users upgrading more often? Among the people I know it's the other way around.

PC alternatives.. such as projectosx86

Philberttheduck

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2006
HB, CA
I gave it a positive rating because it means the release of the iPhone is imminent and will be the sole feature of the next event. I mean, if Apple has the balls to stick the Mac Mini update right next to the iMac's release of the 24" model, they have a HUGER release.

Crap, I don't know if I can afford both a fullscreen iPod AND an iPhone. You ask for a higher time for Apple.. and you (hopefully) get after Sept. 12. If only I was 18 and could buy stock...

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
boncellis said:
I sure hope you mistook the VGA input for the DVI input, otherwise you're crippling that gorgeous TV. Or you can get a DVI to HDMI cable to connect the Mini.

Sounds like a cool setup, the kind of thing I want to do too. ;)
the tv has vga input on it so i just use that an the dvi to vga adapter to connect it to the mini. It's actually really good quality as it is right now. Happy with how it is, plus i don't feel like spending $50 on a single cable haha

kasei

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
It looks like I'm going to have to buy one of these and hook it up to my entertainment system. Good by clunky old DVDs and hello DVD library on a Mac Mini.

ssteve

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2006
Compile 'em all said:
Comparing the prices of the new iMacs and the Mac mini is absurd. The killer
feature of the mini is its form factor. Wake me up when you can use an iMac
as a file/download server placed in your desk drawer.

Agreed.

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
rmhop81 said:
the tv has vga input on it so i just use that an the dvi to vga adapter to connect it to the mini. It's actually really good quality as it is right now. Happy with how it is, plus i don't feel like spending $50 on a single cable haha

You can get a HDMI cable on line for like $10. You should be able to get a DVI/HDMI adapter pretty cheap too. VGA is so yesterday.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
stefan15 said:
Really confused as to why they just didn't skip to Core2.

Supply constraints, and intel is probably selling apple the yonahs cheaper than meroms.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
stefan15 said:
Really confused as to why they just didn't skip to Core2.

probably supply reasons and cost reasons.

if they bumped it to core 2, at least the base model would still have been core duo, the c2d one would have been more expensive, and i'm willing to bet we may see the 1.83 C2D in more than just the 17" imac soon.

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
Bet the combo and Superdrives are all unchanged-the suppliers the same as February's model. And all Core Duo makes sense.
No HDMI or Blu-Ray though (but could jack the price up-so best left for 24" iMac's first revision in 2007)

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
Silentwave said:
probably supply reasons and cost reasons.

if they bumped it to core 2, at least the base model would still have been core duo, the c2d one would have been more expensive, and i'm willing to bet we may see the 1.83 C2D in more than just the 17" imac soon.

I'm guessing that Apple probably had a bunch of yonahs sitting around and hoped they could sell some off.

aafuss1 said:
Bet the combo and Superdrives are all unchanged-the suppliers the same as February's model.

Considering Panasonic and Pioneer are the only ones who make slot loading notebook drives, I'd guess so.

drzeus

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2006
So this is interesting.

Everything is core duo, incuding the minis.
There is a movie announcement next week.
I still can't help but think that the mini has been silently hardware upgraded and will be the video iPod of the coming months. Download to the mini, keep your movies on it, it gets directly connected to your TV and you potentially have an HD movie solution to compete with netflix.

Very interesting. . .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.