Mac Mini Updates? When?

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 25, 2004
1,097
206
Pasadena, California, USA
Hi!

When do you forsee any updates to the mini line in terms of processor speed/possibly faster HD such as in the PB?

I was considering buying one but told to reconsider and wait at least until Tiger ships and maybe even wait until hardware upgrades. What is the usual "product cycle" in terms of Apple upgrades on computer products?
 

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
7,113
418
im_to_hyper said:
Hi!

When do you forsee any updates to the mini line in terms of processor speed/possibly faster HD such as in the PB?

I was considering buying one but told to reconsider and wait at least until Tiger ships and maybe even wait until hardware upgrades. What is the usual "product cycle" in terms of Apple upgrades on computer products?
On average about 6-8 months.
 

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
18,377
43
1123.6536.5321
Yeesh, the blasted thing just came out! Why do you ask? If you're afraid to buy it now due to the prospects of updates, then you're going to be waiting an awful long time before you ever buy anything! As Praxis said, normally 6-8 months - I think any updates at WWDC would even be pushing it though...

Are you also wondering when a new iPod shuffle will be released? :p ;)
 

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
2,381
33
I think that all the Apple computers will get "revamped" and upgraded due to Tiger...


I think that by the day tiger is released or sometime by then, the PowerBook, Mac mini, PowerMac, iMac will get upgraded.

By the holiday season, the iBook, eMac will get upgraded, and the Mac mini and PowerBook will get very minor upgrades.

Thats just my oppinion.
 

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
2,381
33
~Shard~ said:
Yeesh, the blasted thing just came out! Why do you ask? If you're afraid to buy it now due to the prospects of updates, then you're going to be waiting an awful long time before you ever buy anything! As Praxis said, normally 6-8 months - I think any updates at WWDC would even be pushing it though...

Are you also wondering when a new iPod shuffle will be released? :p ;)
New iPod shuffles when an 80 GB iPod comes out! :p
 

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
18,377
43
1123.6536.5321
dotdotdot said:
New iPod shuffles when an 80 GB iPod comes out! :p
Well, with the plummeting prices of Flash memory and all, quite possibly - and we know Toshiba already has those 80 GB micro-drives... :cool:
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
dotdotdot said:
I think that all the Apple computers will get "revamped" and upgraded due to Tiger...


I think that by the day tiger is released or sometime by then, the PowerBook, Mac mini, PowerMac, iMac will get upgraded.

By the holiday season, the iBook, eMac will get upgraded, and the Mac mini and PowerBook will get very minor upgrades.

Thats just my oppinion.
The iMac G5 and eMac should be awhile before any major updates.

The iMac G5 has and all new chipset, and the eMac changed chipsets (4/2004) -- when these things happen, we generally won't get a new one for 18-24 months at the soonest.

The PowerMac G5 is getting close to a change, which may show when Tiger ships. Not due to the chipset needing a change, the chipsets are too numerous (using 3 right now) at the moment in that line.
 

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 25, 2004
1,097
206
Pasadena, California, USA
~Shard~ said:
Yeesh, the blasted thing just came out! Why do you ask? If you're afraid to buy it now due to the prospects of updates, then you're going to be waiting an awful long time before you ever buy anything! As Praxis said, normally 6-8 months - I think any updates at WWDC would even be pushing it though...

Are you also wondering when a new iPod shuffle will be released? :p ;)
Ha Ha funny. Not. Just because I am a newbie at this board doesn't mean that I am a n00b. (I have observed this n00b hostility at many boards and attempt to discourage it where I am most active)

I won't need a new computer until this fall and can continue using my iBook G3 and Sony Vaio desktop until something with a bit better hardware comes out this fall (and is also cheaper).

Maybe I should have rephrased my question so that it would include product cycles in general, not just the mini so that I don't have people making posts that scream "what a dumb question you asked!"

Praxis gave a good answer. Since I am looking at a "long-term" type of purchase than this is the type of answer I need. I would probably buy something now if it weren't for a bit of money constraints (isnt that a fact of life)

and no, I am not waiting for upgraded shuffles... I have a "1st Gen." mini and will now be getting the new 30 GB photo for myself and give the mini to my sister. (screw the aforementioned budget constraints :) )
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.