Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mvkVirtual

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
Hi all, I am looking into buying a base model mac mini, I live in the UK and would be buying the 2.26ghz 2GB model.

I have a few questions about modding the mini. If you could answer them it would be massively appreciated.

1) SSD upgrades - I heard that SSD's die quicker than HDD's. Is this true? How long will one last?

2) Is a hybrid setup possible? For instance having say a 32gb or 64gb SSD for boot drive and applications, and storing all other files, documents etc on an external firewire or USB drive?

3) If this is possible, then does installing the SSD have any effect on the machine? Any risks of it getting too hot or anything? I have a small room which gets very warm, and I don't want to make it run hotter than it should. Any other dangers?

4) What are really fast SSD's that are reasonable cheap and compatible with the mini? I heard Intel are better than OCZ.

5) I assume that putting an SSD in there voids the warranty. What upgrades are accepted? I heard apple allows a few.

6) If the SSD does die, will all my files be safe if they are on a separate drive (if you can)

Thanks for your time. :D

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
1. Nope, SSDs last way longer than HDs, some get fragmented (if that's the right word?) and lose speed faster than other if you write and erase lots of data all the time. They are still worth it and more reliable than HDs.

2. Yes. You can also replace the internal SuperDrive with 2.5" SSD/HD if you want.

3. SSDs run cooler than HDs, so no heat issues

4. Intels and OCZs are the most popular and fastest. Both are good, don't know if Intels are any better

5. There is no official statement on this. General opinion is that if you break something while doing it, it will but if you don't, it doesn't. It's recommended to put in the original parts if you send it to repair though

6. You can and should backup your data with Time Machine so in case of HD failure you won't lose any data

mvkVirtual

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
Awesome thanks. Sounds great! :cool:

If anyone could tell me a fast, affordable SSD that would be great! I was looking at Intels X25-M but at £194 its a bit pricey. Any fast alternatives that are cheaper?

mvkVirtual

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
Thanks, and do you think this will be ok as a long time solution? this will be my main computer, running every day and probably wont be replaced for a few years ?

mvkVirtual

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
Ok thanks everyone. i will probably either get an Intel x25-M or an OCZ Vertex :D

Who knows, I might not even need it. If I do, at least I know which way to go!

m1kee

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2010
Hey,

i will buy an mac mini and want to replace the Superdrive with an SSD. What do i need to change it? I read something about an Optibay. Isn't it possible to replace it without that item?

Greetings

P.S. Which SSD do you prefer? Intel SSD X25-M Postville 80GB ?

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
there is no real place to put a SSD if you don't use an optibay

i've been using the Intel Postville for a few months, very happy with it

now that i'm buying a mac mini, it will also get a postville

just got mine today, the mini will be delivered tomorrow :)

for the moment, i will only replace the stock HD with a SSD and will use an external fw hd for main storage

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.