Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
I have a Mac Mini that is running Tiger successfully, but I am intrigued with the thought of upgrading to Leopard.

My iMac has been upgraded to Leopard, and it works flawlessly, but I am concerned that Leopard might be too much for the little fellow.

SPECS: 1.66Mhz Mac-Mini, core duo Intel, 2GB RAM (NOT core two duo)

Can anyone running such a machine report success, failure, problems with Leopard install?

Thanks for your help.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Just started installing on my 1 year old 1.66 CD stock mini with 512 Megs RAM.

Decided to do it when they released 10.5.1 - it became more responsive on my old iBook G4 with 768Megs.

Will report back afterwards...

iPhil

macrumors 68040
I have a Mac Mini that is running Tiger successfully, but I am intrigued with the thought of upgrading to Leopard.

My iMac has been upgraded to Leopard, and it works flawlessly, but I am concerned that Leopard might be too much for the little fellow.

Can anyone running such a machine report success, failure, problems with Leopard install?

Thanks for your help.

It'll run good.. I have the almost same system .. mine is 1.66 CD/1.25GB ram/200GB external boot.

Once i get some money for leopard i'm upgrading to it ..

Cave Man

macrumors 604

On one of my Minis I was able to run the launcher and reboot to install. On the other, I had to power up using the control key, insert the DVD and select it for the boot. After that, everything was fine. However, 10.5.1 broke my Airport disk connection and the ability to see the other computers on the network, even though those computers see the others and can mount their volumes.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Just started installing on my 1 year old 1.66 CD stock mini with 512 Megs RAM.

Decided to do it when they released 10.5.1 - it became more responsive on my old iBook G4 with 768Megs.

Will report back afterwards...

Works great!

10.5 did so-so on my iBook G4 with 768 Megs RAM. 10.5.1 is soooo much better. :)

On the stock 1.66 CD/512, 10.5 was a bit sluggish, but 10.5.1 is so much better on it as well. :D

From what I'm reading in this forum, 10.5.1 seems to benefit the older Macs, especially with less than 1 Gigs RAM...

gorby

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2007

Thanks for your help.

I'm in pretty much the same position, except the bolded applies more to me.

I'm sort of afraid to upgrade to Leopard on my iMac, as Tiger has been SO good.

egsaxy

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2004
i cant wait to get it put on mine. I'm running an original 1.42 ghz G4. I'm glad people are happy with leopard.

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Since my iMac is running Leopard successfully, can I take my same Leopard disk and install on my Mac mini? I know I can't register it, as I only bought a single license, but will 10.5.1 download to the mini if I do this?

In short, I don't want to spend another $129 just to find out that I have serious problems with Leopard on mini and have to back it out and revert to 10.4.11 (Tiger).

Does anyone know if it is possible to pay Apple the difference between a single license and the family license AFTER the single copy has been purchased?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Since my iMac is running Leopard successfully, can I take my same Leopard disk and install on my Mac mini? I know I can't register it, as I only bought a single license, but will 10.5.1 download to the mini if I do this?

In short, I don't want to spend another $129 just to find out that I have serious problems with Leopard on mini and have to back it out and revert to 10.4.11 (Tiger).

Does anyone know if it is possible to pay Apple the difference between a single license and the family license AFTER the single copy has been purchased?

Your machine will run fine with Leopard. 100% no reason to doubt upgrading. Using the same disk to install on your Mini will work just fine with no registration issues or other problems. Though it is considered to not be exactly legal. It's more of a moral issue really. And that's your decision.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
The airport issues on leopard somehow prevent me from sending email out (on a former sbc now ATT wireless network) on my mini g4 1.5ghz with 1 gig of ram. So I can recieve but not send... kept Tiger on my PB 12" 1.5ghz to send.

Leopard runs great on the old PPC mac mini outside of the airport issues. However, I have not put it to the test and run through all the new apps yet. It seems about as fast as Tiger, maybe slightly faster. I had dashboard shut down on the mini with Onyx, tho and it is stiill shut down as it hogs CPU. We'll see how it works as more updates come and I get smarter about Leopard.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
Mac Mini Solo

I have a Mac Mini Core Solo with 1gig of ram. I +think+ it's running lot better then 10.4.10 did. Now if it really faster, I don't know if really fast or not. It just seem to be...

Now I haven't installed 10.5.1 on my Mac Mini so I don't know about that. I did install it on my iBook 1.2 Ghz with 768. Since the update things seem to run better.

I suggest to download the complete update to 10.5.1 instead of going though the software update. There are reports that the complete update fixes lot of 10.5.1 update problems. You can download it here:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx1051update.html

Hugh

Thanks for your help.

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
I have a Mac Mini Core Solo with 1gig of ram. I +think+ it's running lot better then 10.4.10 did. Now if it really faster, I don't know if really fast or not. It just seem to be...

Now I haven't installed 10.5.1 on my Mac Mini so I don't know about that. I did install it on my iBook 1.2 Ghz with 768. Since the update things seem to run better.

I suggest to download the complete update to 10.5.1 instead of going though the software update. There are reports that the complete update fixes lot of 10.5.1 update problems. You can download it here:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx1051update.html

Hugh

Could you please explain why downloading the "complete" update versus "going through the software update" is preferable? I am new to the Mac, and until you mentioned the "complete" update I was unaware that such a download existed.

In my (admittedly limited) experience, I have always just used the standard update selection underneath the black apple in the upper left-hand corner of the screen.

Would very much appreciate if someone could explain the differences and the pros and cons.

Thanks very much for your continued support.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Would very much appreciate if someone could explain the differences and the pros and cons.

You are a jumpy one aren't you? I'll just ask, what are you afraid of? You seem to have a real paranoia of updating to Leopard.

First of all, not to say that the other guy is 'wrong' per se. But just update using whatever method you're comfortable with. The update via Software Update (under the Apple Menu) and the update via Apple's website are the exact same thing.
(And there are no significant problems with Minis and Leopard, any version.)

Just go ahead and upgrade if you want. There is nothing to worry about. You are making the easy Mac experience drastically more difficult for no reason.

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
You are a jumpy one aren't you? I'll just ask, what are you afraid of? You seem to have a real paranoia of updating to Leopard.

Actually, no. I have successfully upgraded my Al 24" iMac with absolutely no issues. My only concern is with the little mini. It is a far less capable machine. Having said all that . . . yes, I am a bit nervous about upgrading. After 15+ years of Windows experience (just switched to Mac in September) I have been burned a few times. Further, this Mac stuff is all new ground for me.

The update via Software Update (under the Apple Menu) and the update via Apple's website are the exact same thing.

Perhaps. But there is a vast difference in the size of the two files.

(And there are no significant problems with Minis and Leopard, any version.)
Thank you for that.

Just go ahead and upgrade if you want. There is nothing to worry about. You are making the easy Mac experience drastically more difficult for no reason.

Yeah, maybe so. I am learning fast. Anyway, thanks for your comments.

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Update

Well, I did it. It seemed to work well, but as I started checking the system I found several small problems.

Strange as it might seem, after a couple of hours all of the small issues disappeared. No, I didn't have a drink in the meantime.:eek:

Anyway, it appears that the mini works well with Leopard 10.5.1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.