Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yellowplum

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
I just got a mac mini 2014 entry level 399 machine. I have used it for a couple of days and notice a huge difference between that and the MacBook Air I have.

I have browsed around looking at the options, my understanding is that I can upgrade the unit to a fusion drive by getting the cable required and an SSD PCIE.

The alternative that I have also seen is to completely remove the HDD and replace it with a SATA SSD.

I know the first option seems more expensive than the second, but what benefit is the first over the second and vice versa?

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
Better for a Base Model - PCIe SSD or SATA SSD?

I just got a mac mini 2014 entry level 399 machine. I have used it for a couple of days and notice a huge difference between that and the MacBook Air I have.

I have browsed around looking at the options, my understanding is that I can upgrade the unit to a fusion drive by getting the cable required and an SSD PCIE.

The alternative that I have also seen is to completely remove the HDD and replace it with a SATA SSD.

I know the first option seems more expensive than the second, but what benefit is the first over the second and vice versa?

The first option is much more expensive than the second but also more challenging and risky to install. Though less expensive, choosing the second option creates possibilities because of the affordability and availability of large SATA SSDs. The benefits are clear either way. The PCIe SSD option is faster and will allow you to option of creating a Fusion Drive (FD). Though more costly, the FD choice with the first option would allow you to utilize the original hard disk as part of a fast tiered storage system. (the Fusion Drive)

Option 1 uses both storage interfaces. Option 2 only uses the slower SATA interface.

Here is a link that shows a shortcut for the first option.
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20562190/

Regardless of the course you ultimately choose, the best choice here is a third option. First do your research! If you read recent threads on these forums there is plenty of information regarding this topic and others. Although many of us love giving advice, you can save yourself plenty of money and trouble by completing your research before you make decisions.

For instance, a post like this one by Fishrrman could have saved you from the prospect of planning an upgrade for a newly purchased base model mini.
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20873465/

yellowplum

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
If I was in the market for a new one as my main machine I would have looked at specifying as I would use. However I did only pay £220 for this one, so I am not particularly bothered.

I was varying as you suggest to the PCI-E drive, just wanted to gain an opinion if it was worth changing the entire drive to a SATA SSD.

Thanks for the comments too.

One other question I have not been able to find the answer to (unless you can point me somewhere that I have missed). I understand you will have to purchase an Apple PCI-E SSD, but what is the difference between an Apple version one and one you can buy from Plextor etc like this one - http://us.plextoramericas.com/index.php/pcie-ssd/m-2/m6e-m-2-2280

Last edited:

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
If I was in the market for a new one as my main machine I would have looked at specifying as I would use. However I did only pay £220 for this one, so I am not particularly bothered.

I was varying as you suggest to the PCI-E drive, just wanted to gain an opinion if it was worth changing the entire drive to a SATA SSD.

Thanks for the comments too.

One other question I have not been able to find the answer to (unless you can point me somewhere that I have missed). I understand you will have to purchase an Apple PCI-E SSD, but what is the difference between an Apple version one and one you can buy from Plextor etc like this one - http://us.plextoramericas.com/index.php/pcie-ssd/m-2/m6e-m-2-2280

For that price you should be far from bothered yellowplum. :D

As far as I know, the difference that makes the Apple PCIe SSD a "Proprietary" part is the connector. Certain vendors have promised to offer aftermarket parts but they are not available for the mini yet.:apple:

The Maxi is another story apparently.
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura-for-Mac-Pro/

yellowplum

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
Thanks for the help. Will look for that part tomorrow, seems someone also listed the same part with just a change of the number from the one you quoted to this 076-00041. Not sure if that is correct or any difference.

Drives seem harder to find than the cable part.

steve217

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2011
NC
Thanks for the help. Will look for that part tomorrow, seems someone also listed the same part with just a change of the number from the one you quoted to this 076-00041. Not sure if that is correct or any difference.

Drives seem harder to find than the cable part.

If you can stand the thought of your boot drive being in an external enclosure, you have yet another option: buy this enclosure along with a 120gb or so SSD and fuse that with your internal drive.

You might be perfectly happy with the result as you'll have roughly 4x's the performance of your existing system for less than a $100. The PCIe blade (if you can find one) and necessary parts is going to be a lot more expensive than that.

Plus, you won't have to rip your mini apart and risk your warranty.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I got an entry level Mini to test eGPU stuff. I thought I could live with the HD.

WRONG !

It was like a day at the beach with beachballs spinning everywhere. Hard to imagine that a 5,400 rpm drive could make the machine so unusable.

Getting a useable T6 security drive was a chore. Many on Amazon are mislabeled and anything below T7 is just regular bit.

I switched for an SSD and the computer is night and day different, completely different machine.

Adding a PCIE SSD for Max speed when the cable gets here.

Don't settle for spinning disk.

yellowplum

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
I am not, it's just a shame the parts are so hard to come buy. I am thinking of a 256GB PCI-E drive. I don't know what the differences are, have seen many and on eBay, have even googled some part numbers but they all seem to say 2013 and 2014 MBA/MBP which with my lack lustre knowledge I am not sure fit the Mini.

As with regards to the screwdriver I was looking at Wera but the set only goes as small as a T7, might give them a call tomorrow to find out if they do one, Hazet will probably have one.

Try google with Torx BO - http://www-de.wera.de/product_detai...series_kraftform_micro_2067_6_torx_bo&lang=en

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I am not, it's just a shame the parts are so hard to come buy. I am thinking of a 256GB PCI-E drive. I don't know what the differences are, have seen many and on eBay, have even googled some part numbers but they all seem to say 2013 and 2014 MBA/MBP which with my lack lustre knowledge I am not sure fit the Mini.

As with regards to the screwdriver I was looking at Wera but the set only goes as small as a T7, might give them a call tomorrow to find out if they do one, Hazet will probably have one.

Try google with Torx BO - http://www-de.wera.de/product_detai...series_kraftform_micro_2067_6_torx_bo&lang=en
SSDs for late-2013 rMBPs, mid-2014 rMBPs and also the ones for the late-2013 and later iMacs will fit into the 2014 Mac Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.