Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yeast2u

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Hey,

Any one know if there might be an upgrade coming from Apple of Mac MINI for the holiday this year?

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
Only Apple knows for sure, but historically, Apple does not release new product after late November; they typically go into their peak holiday selling season without changing their product line.

Allegedly, Apple plans on shipping the new Mac Pro sometime in December, but that is not a consumer product and its sales aren't driven by the holidays.

It is highly unlikely that Apple will release a new Mac mini before the end of the year.

I have a strong suspicion that Apple is working on a new industrial design for the Mac mini, a taller one with a smaller footprint (like the AirPort Extreme but in aluminum or maybe something like the new Mac Pro). If Apple just wanted to upgrade the internals with the same mini pizza box chassis, they could have done so months ago. Of course, this is pure speculation on my part, without a shred of rumor/evidence for me to work off of.

Anyhow, my two cents...

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
I have a strong suspicion that Apple is working on a new industrial design for the Mac mini, a taller one with a smaller footprint (like the AirPort Extreme but in aluminum or maybe something like the new Mac Pro). If Apple just wanted to upgrade the internals with the same mini pizza box chassis, they could have done so months ago. Of course, this is pure speculation on my part, without a shred of rumor/evidence for me to work off of.
No need for them to make it taller if they just ditch the second 2.5" drive bay; after all that's only there because they didn't really redesign the case after removing the optical bay (just got rid of the slot). So if they reduce the horizontal space they can easily move some stuff up to fill that space. I imagine they'll still offer Fusion drives via mSATA or PCIe SSD blades since they're much smaller.

Someone mentioned elsewhere the possibility of the mac Mini becoming round like the Mac Pro, which could be interesting; especially if they moved stuff around such that they can use one circular blower the full size of the case near the bottom, with slits for intake and exhaust.

Sorry, that's all speculation as well, but it does seem like they won't be releasing an incremental update now. Most likely they're aiming for a redesign, possibly as part of moving construction to the US (or at least producing US orders there).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.