Mac Mini Upgrade

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kombuwa, Aug 10, 2015.

1. kombuwa macrumors newbie

After 15 years of using windows I am planning to move in to Mac.

I am planning to buy 2.6GHz Mac Mini.

Can you guys tell me the best upgrade for Money 16 GB RAM or 1TB Fusion Drive.

i am planning to use xcode, Blender, Unity 3d, Photoshop, Dreamviewer.

Please help me to choose.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

If you've got 8GB RAM already I'd say the Fusion Drive, as that'll vastly improve real-world performance and application loading. Of course try get both upgrades if you can afford it, or preferably pure Flash (though this'd definitely be expensive).

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Fusion drive, you may have to close down a couple of apps occasionally if you have less RAM and keep everything open and running, but the fusion drive will make everything open instantly work fluidly and give you a much better computing experience. Unless of course you are running multiple VM's and then I'd say go with a 256GB SSD and 16gb RAM and external drives for storage.

5. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

16GB RAM. You can always add more storage at a later date. You won't be able to add more RAM.

6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Isn't the Fusion drive proprietary 128GB PCI-e SSD though?

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Fusion drive is but if you buy with a HDD it's connected by standard sata 3 so you can swap it out for an SSD. It's much more difficult than it used to be (full disassembly) but it is possible. See here for details

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+Mini+Late+2014+Hard+Drive+Replacement/32815

8. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

Yes it is, you are correct. You can swap out the SATA drive still if I'm not mistaken, but the SSD is the PCIe interface.

9. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Yes, the SSD is one of the "blade" types. But they can be purchased from Amazon and Ebay. I have one running in my 2010 Mac Pro.