Mac Mini upgrading - how far

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by bobsbarricades, Jan 18, 2009.

1. bobsbarricades macrumors regular

Feb 4, 2007
    I'm really in need of a new Mac, my iBook G4 still does what I need, but not so great in music production =P

In any event, I don't have loads of money and as much as I'd like to buy a MBP, I'm lookin at the Mac Mini, more so now after seeing it can be upgraded beyond what apple is willing to offer. It voids the warranty but I don't care, I've been building computers since I was a kid with my dad (obviously started with PC).

Problem is I can't find a central location about matching up CPU's or limitation and all that good stuff. Do you guys know where to point me so I can start checking prices on things in Korea to find out if it's worth the trouble?
  2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level
    since youve been building pc's, maybe might consider building a hackintosh?

as far checking prices on parts, i always use newegg
  3. bobsbarricades thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 4, 2007
    problem with the hackintosh idea is that they mostly have problems with audio and I am using it for Audio Production... so no go there

And again, Korea. Can't use newegg, but there are better places to buy things in Korea, I just need to know what I'm looking for.
  4. TrapOx macrumors 6502

Dec 4, 2008
    Don't bother making a hackintrash.

The best you'll get out of a mini is a Core2Duo 2.33ghz, 2gb ram and a 500gb hard drive.

Wait a little while though, the current mini is an old overpriced piece of junk.