Mac Mini..Use and Ipad as Monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by diwrom, Mar 11, 2017.

1. diwrom macrumors newbie

diwrom

Is there a way I can use my Ipad as the Monitor for my Mac Mini? I saw hdmi adapter for ipad, will that work? I know I need to attach the HDMI cable to the adaptor..lol

2. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

I'm pretty certain that any HDMI adaptors for the iPad are used to let the iPad push its own display onto an HDMI screen -- not to turn the iPad itself into an external screen. I don't believe there is currently any device that allows you to send an HDMI signal to the iPad.

However, there is software that can set up an iPad for use as an "external display", by passing all the information needed to display the computer's current screen over a network connection. I haven't tried any of these myself, but from what I've read, the best reviews go to an app called "Duet Display". It has the advantage of being able to use a wired USB connection rather than going over WiFi, which means it can pass data faster, reducing screen lag. So, you might try that one...

3. 2457244 macrumors regular

Are you trying to make an iSurface Studio Pro?

;)

4. adam9c1 macrumors 68000

adam9c1

Take a look at Duet Display. Not sure if this will work without a primary monitor attached.

5. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I can see how this would be pretty cool if one was running a Mini as a headless computer and occasionally needed to do something. It would be slick to just plug in an iPad without having to break out a monitor.

6. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

Unfortunately doesn't work headless. Needs the primary monitor in place.

7. elolaugesen macrumors regular

--- Post Merged, Mar 19, 2017 ---
    Try Duet app. When I go away and need a computer I bring my Mac mini and the IPad. I then use the DUET app on both machines It works like a charm. occasionally the color on the top menu goes wongy but it works great. https://www.duetdisplay.com

8. now i see it macrumors 68000

Can a Mac Mini use duet & an iPad as its only display? Or does the mini require a 2nd monitor too?

9. elolaugesen macrumors regular

I use it as the only display when away from home..... occasionally I use it as a third displayat home.. I have 2 EIZO monitors for the work I do and occasionally I use the Ipad with duet as my main screen for emails and keeping tab on the world while I am working with the two EIZO's

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You can get duet to work just fine if you get a hdmi headless adaptor

11. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery