Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
I have a Late 2014 Mac Mini purchased new in March 2016 that is now 6 years old and feeling it.
2.6 i5 w 16GB RAM and a 256 SSD. The main purpose is a home machine, iTunes server, a lot of mail, web browsing, some Photoshop, iMovie, a large Photos library etc.

In 2018 I bought a 15" MBP with the intention of that being my primary machine. Even got a CalDigit TS3+ for it to dock to drives, and my 34" Ultrawide 5K2K LG. And made the iTunes library on my MBP my primary for my phone syncing etc. Yes a little old school, no match or Apple Music for me. I sync the whole thing, playlists and all.

My problem is even though I have a trackpad and keyboard for the MBP, I just don't pull it out and use it as my primary at home like I do the Mini. It's so much easier to use the Mac Mini. So my MBP goes largely unused unless I am away from home. And I don't use it for work.

I had planned to get a new Mini when the M2 drops but the Mac Studio has me pausing. The Studio is truly overkill for a home machine.
But then I started looking at the specs difference that $900 gets you with a Mac Studio over the current M1 Mini.

Yes, we know it is a M1 v M1 Max, and that the base is 32GB vs 8GB RAM.

But when I looked more closely, the differences came down to this:

1. Geekbench scores show the whole M1 line is similar in single-core tests and blow away my i5. But the Max seriously outperforms the M1 in multi-core tests, though that is no surprise.

2. The RAM is the real differentiator. M1 RAM bandwidth is 68GB/s while the Max comes in over 400GB/s.

3. The SoC GPU on the M1 Max is also about 3x the speed of the M1.

4. And lastly the SSD read and write speeds on the Max are 2-3 times that of the M1.

Now, an M2 Mini could feature the same SSD performance now in the Studio, and the M2 CPU scores could leapfrog the M1 Max in single-core tests. But the RAM and GPU are still going to be miles ahead of the M2, as will the speed of the CPU when it utilizes additional cores.

For my needs the Mac Studio is still likely overkill, but given the 6 years I've milked out of my i5 Mini, AND the fact that I actually still use it more than my desktop, I am left wondering, wait for the M2 Mini, or get a Studio....

1647412161363.png

Reactions: stradify

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Your post already outlined the major differences of those two choices, I doubt anyone will have much to add specs wise because in respect to M2 Macs we are all still speculating.

In that respect, the Studio has an advantage because in the coming weeks we will know everything about it, like we do in the M1 mini (its display & wireless problems etc). The M2 mini is likely going to inherit some of those problems, namely number of ports or if they still can't break through the 2+ external display limit. M2 if still on 5nm then its advance over M1 will be like how iPhone 13 (A15) has over iPhone 12 (A14), mostly on efficiency which is more meaningful on a mobile device with battery life being a major concern. Also we do not know how far away it will become available and how bad the world's logistics will be, vs the Studio is literally being shipped to people's hands as we speak.

Seeing how you managed with a 2014 mini for such a long term use (despite it being deemed a weak release in the mini line up), I can see you "investing" in a Studio for now can be sounded. The added performances in all respects are like said not needed for your home use, but if you end up owning it for another 8 years then the performance headroom will serve you well until Apple stops supporting the machine (typically a 7 year cycle).

If cost is a concern, consider selling all the MBP + TS3 + 2014 mini after your Studio purchase. Should cover the difference from buying a M1 mini instead then you can pretend you didn't blow 2 grand on the Studio, lol.

Reactions: HeadsUp7Up

slainbabyyc

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2021
In my opinion, there is little in your use case that necessitates the power and speed of the Studio. I think you'd be perfectly satisfied by an M1 mini. I do everything that you do (including managing a physical iTunes library) and more (music production/video editing) and my M1 Macbook never breaks a sweat. I understand the desire to upgrade and future-proof, and in fact I am probably going to get a 16in M2 Max when it comes out, but were I you I'd probably skip the Studio and just get the M2 Mini. Actually, I'd probably skip the Mini too, sell both of your current devices, and just get an M2 Macbook and connect it to an external display when you are home.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
My issue isn't the cost. And I don't want to get rid of all and replace with a newer MBP b/c I don't leave my laptop plugged in all the time, but my Mini serves as an iTunes server for all movies (and we still have enough in the library from before the all streaming age). And I don't have a NAS setup, not that I think that works for iTunes. But at the same time I just don't plug my MBP in or pull it out every time I need to use it. I gravitate towards the desktop because it is ready to go.

Good thing is I'm not in a huge hurry. So I can wait on the Studio reviews, and make a decision or even wait for the M2 Mini before I decide though I was hoping to replace my Mini before November and my guess is the M2 Mini won't arrive before then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.