Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunandsurf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
not a big deal but i checked amazon's site and while they're selling the mac minis, it appears that you can't choose x or y; it's just a or b.

not a big deal cuz i'll go through the apple website but i just wondered if anyone else would confirm that; or maybe i'm missing something and there are options.

just wondering...

thanks.

sunandsurf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
ha! sorry about that!

what i meant is that you can't choose 2.3 vs 2.6 processor, can't choose how much ram, what kind of hard drive, etc.

honestly, i don't see a price difference and apple is shipping the minis for free so there's really no incentive to buy from amazon vs apple.

as a matter of fact, i just placed my order for a mini through apple's site....

i would love to max everything out but i decided to be honest and practical; for my needs, i don't need to push it. the one thing i didn't spring for was the ram; way too expensive; will increase it on my own later...

mdgolom

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2006
ha! sorry about that!

what i meant is that you can't choose 2.3 vs 2.6 processor, can't choose how much ram, what kind of hard drive, etc.

honestly, i don't see a price difference and apple is shipping the minis for free so there's really no incentive to buy from amazon vs apple.

as a matter of fact, i just placed my order for a mini through apple's site....

i would love to max everything out but i decided to be honest and practical; for my needs, i don't need to push it. the one thing i didn't spring for was the ram; way too expensive; will increase it on my own later...

Amazon only sells the pre-configured Minis (no BTO options). The only advantage I have from ordering from Amazon over Apple is that I don't have to pay sales tax. If you want something that isn't available on the standard model, Apple is the way to go.

Jarpo

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
The only reason I see to order via Apple's site is if you really want that upgraded CPU. Upgrading RAM is so easy and much cheaper to do it on your own that I don't see any reason to pay Apple whatever ridiculous amount they're asking for 8 or 16GB. Swapping out the hard drive(s) isn't a huge issue either in my opinion. Hundreds of dollars can be saved my making these simple modifications yourself. Also, like stated earlier, Amazon is tax free (in most areas) and you can have your Mac the next day if you'd like.

I ordered my 2.3 Mini yesterday with 16GB RAM and my total, shipped, was $875. The same configuration via Apple would be around $1186. No thank you.

tears2040

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
The only reason I see to order via Apple's site is if you really want that upgraded CPU. Upgrading RAM is so easy and much cheaper to do it on your own that I don't see any reason to pay Apple whatever ridiculous amount they're asking for 8 or 16GB. Swapping out the hard drive(s) isn't a huge issue either in my opinion. Hundreds of dollars can be saved my making these simple modifications yourself. Also, like stated earlier, Amazon is tax free (in most areas) and you can have your Mac the next day if you'd like.

I ordered my 2.3 Mini yesterday with 16GB RAM and my total, shipped, was $875. The same configuration via Apple would be around $1186. No thank you.

Yes Apple charges tax, but they also have an offer through a credit card on their site for no interest for 12 months on most purchases. So Yes you might pay $80-$100 more in taxes, it's also good if you want to build credit and buy now with no money.

On the contrary I agree with you, you should buy Ram elsewhere as Apple charges to much.

sunandsurf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
The only reason I see to ...

Wow; if it's all right with you, may I ask where you ordered your mini?

snapper2323

macrumors member
May 8, 2009
Yes Apple charges tax, but they also have an offer through a credit card on their site for no interest for 12 months on most purchases. So Yes you might pay $80-$100 more in taxes, it's also good if you want to build credit and buy now with no money.

On the contrary I agree with you, you should buy Ram elsewhere as Apple charges to much.

Amazon is also offering 12 months no interest on all items over $599 if you sign up or already have their store card.

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
not a big deal but i checked amazon's site and while they're selling the mac minis, it appears that you can't choose x or y; it's just a or b.

not a big deal cuz i'll go through the apple website but i just wondered if anyone else would confirm that; or maybe i'm missing something and there are options.

just wondering...

thanks.
I ordered the 2.6 i7 from Apple and my 2.3 i7 from Amazon.

tears2040

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
Amazon is also offering 12 months no interest on all items over $599 if you sign up or already have their store card.

Problem is you can't configure custom computers on Amazon. On top of that their Credit card is harder to get approved for (I tried, got denied)

But yeah I buy everything at Amazon, like all of my video and photography equipment so Thanks for the heads up as Amazon for many states does not charge tax

scottyd1119

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
Checkout B&H Photo Video for an alternative. They have comparable pricing to apple, with the exception they only charge 104 for the apple care. They have free shipping and no sales tax outside NY. They also have available different configurations ie 2.6 vs 2.3 fusion drive vs 1tb drive.

tears2040

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
Checkout B&H Photo Video for an alternative. They have comparable pricing to apple, with the exception they only charge 104 for the apple care. They have free shipping and no sales tax outside NY. They also have available different configurations ie 2.6 vs 2.3 fusion drive vs 1tb drive.

I'm a College student so I only paid $99 for the Apple care + some other small discounts.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA

That offer is only available if you get approved for the Barclay's Apple credit card. It's available for the first 30 days and sometimes comes around for card holders.

I was just looking at the Amazon site. i7 version is $799.99 (same as Apple). I'd save $52.00 on tax if I order from there. It's an option.

tears2040

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
That offer is only available if you get approved for the Barclay's Apple credit card. It's available for the first 30 days and sometimes comes around for card holders.

I was just looking at the Amazon site. i7 version is $799.99 (same as Apple). I'd save $52.00 on tax if I order from there. It's an option.

Yes, but Amazon does not have the 2.6ghz version yet, which is the one I am buying. Also I am getting a slight education discount as well.

sunandsurf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Jarpo, I'm wondering if you'll see this but I'm still interested in knowing where you ordered your mini for such a good price.

Thanks.

Darby67

macrumors 6502
Jarpo, I'm wondering if you'll see this but I'm still interested in knowing where you ordered your mini for such a good price.

Thanks.

$875. Pretty easy, buy from someplace that you won't get charged tax (Amazon perhaps for $799). Purchase RAM from several different providers (Newegg, etc). The price of the Mini is pretty much the same everyplace +/- a few bucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.