Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daily

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
Is it possible to upgrade the video card on my mini to something that supports Quartz Extreme?

Err

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2005
G5Unit said:
One word: Nope, sry! Wait that's 2.

Well, technically "sry" isnt a word! I just wasted everyones time didn't I...... sry..... :p

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Well, your Mac Mini already supports Quartz Extreme, which has been used for much of the 2D graphics eye-candy in OS X for a while. What it doesn't support is core-image, the latest and greatest rendering system that supports even more eye-candy. My guess is that in the next revision of minis they will put in the Radeon 9550, which supports core image. :)

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
Sun Baked said:
Well you are allow one err a day. ;)

Well played, well played.

If the Minis had a 9550 a month ago, I would have gotten one rather than my iBook. Then again, Apple doesn't want its "bargain" computer to steal business away from its more expensive ones.

Daily

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
well is it just not feasible to upgrade the video card? I mean _couldn't_ I simply yank out the 9200 and throw in a 9550?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Daily said:
well is it just not feasible to upgrade the video card? I mean _couldn't_ I simply yank out the 9200 and throw in a 9550?
It's probably easier to upgrade the engine in a FWD car to a v-10 viper motor.

THERE IS NO CARD ...

It's a chip soldered directly to the board, any replacement needs to be pin compatible -- or it'll be a major challenge.

The Mini also has tight space tolerances.

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
Sun Baked said:
It's probably easier to upgrade the engine in a FWD car to a v-10 viper motor.

THERE IS NO CARD ...

It's a chip soldered directly to the board, any replacement needs to be pin compatible -- or it'll be a major challenge.

The Mini also has tight space tolerances.

you beat me to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.