Mac Mini: video RAM

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Truffy, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Truffy macrumors 6502a

Truffy

I'm a little confused by the video RAM specs on the mini. The Apple site states that the low end version (1GB RAM) has "NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 128MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory", while the upper version (2GB RAM) has "NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory". But in both cases "Minimum graphics memory usage is 128MB for 1GB configuration and 256MB for 2GB configuration".

Now, if I've read this right, there is no dedicated VRAM, and the graphics processor shares main system memory. Also, in a 1GB configuration 128MB is given over to the GPU, whereas it's 256MB for the 2GB configuration.

Does this mean that if I buy the 1GB version and upgrade it to 2GB or more that the GPU will get a memory boost from 128MB to 256MB? Or is there some hardwired difference between the two configurations?

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Yes.

3. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

yes+

Crazy to buy the $200 more model. You can get a 500GB HD & 4GB RAM for less than that.

4. robotartfashion macrumors 6502

many many will not feel comfortable installing these upgrades themselves, or will be worried about voiding applecare

apple has included the higher end config for those who can't help themselves and to drum up more $ from buyers as it will provide a slight discount

also, please use the search in the forum :) or just peruse some of the existing threads, there are at least 5 now with this confirmation! (this is the pot calling the kettle black, as we have all done it) but i thought i would do it nicely before somebody flames

enjoy your new mini!

5. Truffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Truffy

Thanks to crazzyeddie and DjAmTraX for your help, I appreciate it! :D
    If this comment is aimed at me, you might like to check the timestamps! :)

I didn't use the forum search facility, I admit, but an eyeballing of the threads at the time I originally posted (Yesterday, 04:39 PM) didn't show anything promising. There are several threads on this subject now, but Opened my new Mac Mini - some info started Yesterday, 07:56 PM; mac mini graphics memory... started Yesterday, 12:20 PM; NVIDIA 128MB vs 256MB? started only Today, 01:34 AM; and Mac Mini Purchased! (crazy title, crazy thread!) started Yesterday, 10:37 AM. Admittedly, Mac Mini: How much RAM necessary for Home Theater usage? was started Yesterday, 04:46 PM, but the question on VRAM didn't arise until 05:26 PM.

Besides, I don't like to hijack other people's threads to post a question (although if it's already answered so much the better)! :)

Peace.

6. baddj macrumors 6502

I have the same thing to ask but a bit more to it.

Okay so if i order the entry level mac mini and click on the 4GB upgrade. it will have 256MB VRAM. so is it the same as the top level but with less storage in other words??

7. bezerk3r86 macrumors member

So if anyone were to add 4GB of DDR3 RAM, do we expect Leopard to give the 9400M 512MB of VRAM?

Just how did you confirm that the low-end 128MB model will give you more VRAM if you added 2GB?

8. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

9. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I think a few people already posted in other threads, they have upgraded to 2GB and 4GB and both topped out at 256MB VRAM.

Cheers,

10. Pokernut macrumors member

+1

I'm wondering this exact same thing.

11. Superman07 macrumors 6502a