mac mini VS Apple TV

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DanJohnson05, Jan 14, 2008.

1. DanJohnson05 macrumors newbie

I have been wanting a DVR or a streaming device of some sort for a while now. I alos need to get a newer computer. I was wondering if it would make more sense to get a mac mini and slowly add the extra components I would need to use it as a dvr. I don't watch a ton of tv but there are a few shows that I would like to record and watch later. Also recording them in standard def if just fine for me. I was thinking about getting a used mini off of ebay I usually see the 1.5ghz core duos go for under $500.

It seems like a good idea for me. I need a computer now but will be getting a new or used imac in the fall. So I was thinking I could grab the mini now then in the fall when I get my imac the mini could serve as a dvr/apple tv.

Also I will be new to osX as I have not used a mac since the IIc in grade school. I can't stand vista and I am ready to jump ship.

I don't have a ton of movies and the are all standard DVD's. I want to learn how to rip them and keep the 5.1 surround sound. Also is there a way I can rip a movie with it's 5.1 sound and use it on a ipod touch? I had an ipod video and I hated have two copies of all my vids. One higher quality for the computer and another for the ipod.

so and advice or thoughs you could throw at me would be great.

Thanks for your time.

2. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Definitely wait until tomorrow after SJ's Keynote! May be introducing a new AppleTV/MacMini Combo... Just my 2 cents

3. DanJohnson05 thread starter macrumors newbie

good idea but most of what I am going to buy will be used. new apple products are mostly too much for too little.

4. supercooled macrumors 6502a

The AppleTV is a specialized product but without hacking it, it would be very limiting. For what you've described, the mini would be a better fit. I've been considering this myself as I recently purcahsed an HDTV (about time). A Mini is infinitely (out of the box) more capable than an ATV.

It's a no brainer, I think. Happy hunting!

5. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

When they are introduced, most Apple products are more for the money than you can get elsewhere. The problem is that some products have gone for a year or more without being upgraded or having the price adjusted.

At the Keynote, SJ may well announce something that would perfectly suit your purposes. Considering the rumors that suggest that Apple will be offering movie rentals, it makes sense that video-related hardware could also be introduced.

6. PNW macrumors regular

The mini will work fine for this, and the 1.66 gHz mini is more than adequate for email, web, light photo work, etc.

Use Handbrake to convert your DVDs. You're looking at a ~2.5 GB file for a 2 hour movie at decent resolution for a TV sized screen. While you could put a few of these on your touch, it might make sense to keep two copies just so you can have more movies/music on your touch.