Mac Mini vs. AppleTV for Hulu at home

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Maxington, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Maxington macrumors 6502

I currently have an extra bluetooth keyboard and mouse and want to add either a Mac Mini or AppleTV to my TV setup in the front room. I mostly watch Hulu on the TV via a laptop, but want something a little more permanent.

I am running Boxee on my iMac in my office which is something I would run with the Mac Mini.

My question is should I spend the extra money for the mini or just get an Apple TV and install Boxee on it?

2. iGrant macrumors 6502a

I would recommend an Mac Mini because you don't have to "hack" it to run hulu as you would have to on an AppleTV.

If you screw up the hack on your AppleTV, especially the recovery partition and don't make backups, it can be fixed but you had better be comfortable with Linux and plan a solid 6 ~ 8 if you know what you are doing.

I screwed up the partitions on my AppleTV and it was not fun to fix. I thought about running an AppleTV for everything I do, but in the end I decided just to use an Mac Mini. Here is what I do with my Mac Mini (I got this from another thread in this forum):

Hope this helps, here is the link to the thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=607496

-iGrant85

3. Maxington thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info. Yes, after looking at the choices it seems obvious that Mac Mini is better for my needs. It also sucks they haven't released a new one in a while.

4. iGrant macrumors 6502a

Get one used. I wouldn't bother buying a new one. You can save a good ton of money by getting one used. I would search eBay (Check the sellers feedback and only pay through paypal) and I if you have enough post I would check the marketplace here but stuff goes fast here. Craigslist is hit or miss.

-iGrant

5. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Apple TV is being closed out by Sam's Club. I got one for $104 and a west coast guy saw them at $109. A Mac Mini is more capable no doubt, but the :apple:TV is really pretty sweet, especially at over $100 off.

6. iGrant macrumors 6502a

Yeah thats pretty good but still you plan on doing any "hack/modifying" on an AppleTV, you really need to be comfortable not only with unix/linux. However for 104 at Sam's it really might be worth it to get one at that price :p.

-iGrant

7. descartes macrumors 6502

that is a great price. might pick up another if I can find one so cheap.

8. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

AwkwardTV.org has all the hard work done before I'll even plug it in. SSH isn't that daunting, when I get to it I'll likely use rbrowser for the file moving and just use terminal for the long commands and restarts.
    I would have picked up ten at that price if they had them, but there was only one at my local Sam's.

I kind of wish I had a Tiger retail disc so I could use it as a regular mac, but I'll keep looking for a G4 iMac to replace my kitchen computer, a tired five year old windows laptop that can't keep up with youtube anymore.

9. Maxington thread starter macrumors 6502

That is a nice price for the aTV but the used Mac Mini may offer more benefits in the long run.

10. iGrant macrumors 6502a

Agreed even with considering getting an AppleTV for 100 bucks, the Mac Mini has too much room for growth and that just out ways the cost.

NOW if you only have 100 bucks . . . AppleTV looking really good!!!

-iGrant

11. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

Where is this marketplace you speak of?

12. iGrant macrumors 6502a

You have to have at least I believe 250 post before you can view the marketplace.

-iGrant

13. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

250? :( That will take forever...