Mac Mini vs ATV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by thunderclap, Feb 24, 2009.

1. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

I currently have an ATV that doesn't get much use. This is because I'm limited on what I can do with it, which is basically watch my DVD collection (I digitized all 250 of them) and occasionally rent a movie. I was taking advantage of Hulu through Boxee but not that Boxee no longer streams Hulu the ATV isn't all that appealing for me.

I'm considering selling it for a Mac Mini and install Plex Media Center. There I can watch my digitized movies, stream from Hulu and Joost and, soon, ABC.com. And if something isn't available through Plex Media Center I could always start Safari and watch a show through through the browser.

I assume someone here has used a Mac Mini as a media center. What were your experiences?

(And this isn't me bashing ATV. It just isn't serving my needs.)

2. mpshay macrumors 6502

I'm loving the latest version of PLEX. I have it on both of Minis and now use them a lot more that my ATV. The only disadvantage (and only a minor one) is that the Mini lack HDMI. That and cost are the only advantages of the ATV. I'm much happier with the minis. I say go for it!

3. thunderclap thread starter macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

I've been playing with Plex and am really digging it. I just hope Hulu doesn't disappear from it like it did from Boxee. Though, worst case scenario, just load up Safari and watch it full screen that way.