Mac Mini vs. Competition

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sasmokeout, Apr 10, 2009.

1. sasmokeout macrumors newbie

Ok, i'll start off by saying that at first i had decided to purchase the mac mini. But after a couple months of deliberation I've done some research and looked at some reviews (most recently CNET) and have begun to reconsider my decision. I like the mac mini because of the OS but it seems to be over powered by similarly priced PCs. Is there something i'm missing here? I really want to buy the mini but i don't want to feel as if my money could have been better spent. Any thoughts and opinions would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

the mac mini takes up next to no room on the desk, uses very little power and is, for a vast majority of consumers, very powerful.

3. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

you can't stack the mini against pcs out there. In terms of specs, it won't win.

But if you want an elegant computer to run OS X and accomplish the essential tasks such as internet surfing, video watching, and your regular office work, the mini will do all that with much aplomb. :)

4. RealaT macrumors regular

If you compare a Mac Mini to a regular big box PC then of course it's not going to stack up spec or price-wise.

The beauty in the Mac Mini is it's so elegant and tiny in size, and it also is almost silent running. Not many PCs can claim this.

I have one sat under my TV running as a media server and I don't even need to hide it away in the TV cabinet, it's so small it just sits underneath the screen and it's not in the way at all. I've used a Windows-based media center PC before and it was so loud I had to turn the volume up on the TV to drown out the fan noise.

Compare the Mini to a Dell Studio Hybrid (i think that's what it's called) and you will see there is not a great deal difference in price or specs

5. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, the average user doesnt need that much power. I use a 1.8 dual powermac g5. The new 09 mini scores higher than my powermac in geekbench scores, and I use my powermac for photoshop cs3, illustrator cs3, safari, itunes, adium, xcode, interface builder, and iphone simulator all at the same time with only 1gb of ram in my computer. And I experience no lag whatsoever, so I would assume that since the mini is more powerful, it should be able to do even more.